7.3idi & Roadranger transmission

rustnsuch

Reaction score
Is it possible to mount a 9,10,13 or 18 speed behind a 7.3idi ?
If not a Roadranger will any other trans mount up ?

ameristar1

The One Blue Thing
Reaction score
Sure. Get a MD bellhousing (I think SAE 2 or 3, someone can correct me) and you can add something with more than 5-7 gears.

red66chev

Reaction score
if you need more gears in a little f350 look into a gear vender's over or under drive. it helps you split the gears you all ready have and gives you one more .
turns a 4 in to a true 5 will a few other split gears they may look spendy but even a little road ranger 10 speed will cost you at least double what the gear vender's does. not to mention the amout of work to put that in. its more than just changing a trans. a newer style road ranger weights more than a idi 7.3.

1320Cummins

Pro Parts Thrasher
Reaction score
I know for sure a 7spd will bolt up. But even the 7spd is big and may not fit plus you will be lucky to get into a used one with adapter clutch and flywheel for less than $3,500 and that would be a great price.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
you wont have much cab floor left and I dont think it would fit between the frame rails anyway. also the rotating mass would eat up so much power it would be a pig.
I wonder what happened to those gear splitters that used to go between the bell and trans of like an old iron 4 speed.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
If I'm not mistaken, those are twin countershaft boxes. You might be able to bolt the things up but they would eat your lunch in the torque department .
When I was searching for a brownie, I REALLY wanted to find an air shift job so my wife wouldn't have so much trouble learning the thing, but the only air shift ones left anywhere are the 1241p and that is a twin countershaft job so I had to pass and get a single countershaft manual shift.

wanabebig

Full Access Member
Reaction score
goin through the diesel stuff here at pitt state in kansas i was talkin to one of my professors and he said i could get a rt610 or an rt613 that would work behind the 6.9 or 7.3 or the rto610/rto613 but the thing is u'd have to find a sae #2 bellhousing for the motor.... not going to lie i have been thinking bout it but the thing is i'm in town most of the time and for it it'd get a little annoying.. but i'd be up for it if i could get one.. haha

ameristar1

The One Blue Thing
Reaction score
Look on youtube, there's a company that did a big wheel, lifted Chevy pickup with a Cummins and a 10 speed Roadranger. I didn't know you wanted to put the thing in a pickup. RLDSL's setup gives 15 speeds and is a little more practical in the smaller frame, and if something happens, you can drop the box and reinstall the old stuff.

RLDSL, maybe plans or a kit?

rustnsuch

Reaction score
Thanks for all the help, I was just wandering if it would bolt up or fit. I seen the youtube video about a week ago and it got me to wandering if it would fit in a F 350. But my truck is a little to good for me to start cutting up to clear a transmission. You see, i'm an old truck driver that loves to change gears.

More Gears More Better

Thanks,
Rustnsuch

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
if you do find a 610 or 613 the gears can be swapped to make it an overdrive. Takes a big press and about 6 hours to teardown and reassemble.
You just swap the input and4th gear sets on the shafts.

ameristar1

The One Blue Thing
Reaction score
Thanks for all the help, I was just wandering if it would bolt up or fit. I seen the youtube video about a week ago and it got me to wandering if it would fit in a F 350. But my truck is a little to good for me to start cutting up to clear a transmission. You see, i'm an old truck driver that loves to change gears.

More Gears More Better

Thanks,
Rustnsuch

Me too. Just not old. Yet;burnout

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you like shifting gears I'd say the brownie box behind whatever you have now is the ticket. If I ever have any money again that's what I will be doing. RLDSL has pics in his webshots gallery. Foxman also has a brownie and maybe one or two other guys. Sounds like the best combo I've heard of. I love to row gears...I suppose I'm weird. If I'm not mistaken any med. duty transmission with an SAE3 bellhousing will bolt up to the 6.9/7.3 IDI minus the IH-Ford adapter plate, but that doesn't guarantee you won't have problems making the thing physically fit or logistical problems like where to mount the starter after the adapter plate is gone.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger

Members online