7.3 zf5... what bolt sizes mount it up and exhaust question

89dieselbko

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, first time poster obviously, but been reading for about 6 months or so in prep to my 7.3/zf5 swap in my 89 FSB *basically what agnem did and how i found this site in the first place*

2 questions i have as my engine is due to go in not this weekend but next... I bought my 7.3 from an auto truck, and bought my tranny from a different truck... i didnt get the mounting bolts off either which was possibly a mistake. Kind of hoping someone on here has the information, google and calling a couple local shops has failed me.

My second question is for my bone stock motor, how should i do the exhaust? want to let it breath a little better but i dont know if i should go with true duels or just run a 4" or so pip from the Y back. It will be exiting in front of the rear tires.

Thanks for any input you guys have, its much appreciated.

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had my transmission out a few weeks ago and could have easily given you some measures, but I'm afraid it is installed in the truck now. All I can tell you is they are half inch diameter course thread. The lengths, are needed, but I hope someone will have that info for you soon.

Heath

89dieselbko

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The half inch helps out ALOT actually, i can easily measure depth with a small bolt that can slide in... my *local* bolt shop is about 7 miles from my house, long way to drive to have goofed the thickness measurement!

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Take the exhaust out the rear, unless you want to blacken the tire and rim. Size is up to you, anything over a 3" is a waste of money, unless you have a deep pocket. A showoff puts a 5" tip on it. :D

91idi

Fiberglass *****
Reaction score
A dynomax y-pipe will help. Then build your own 3" system. Around $80 for the y-pipe.

89dieselbko

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Take the exhaust out the rear, unless you want to blacken the tire and rim. Size is up to you, anything over a 3" is a waste of money, unless you have a deep pocket. A showoff puts a 5" tip on it. :D

Thanks for that! i wasnt sure if i should go wtih 4in, i assumed it would be better, but if i stay with 3in i wont have the clearance issues sneaking it out the back. Im new to diesel, dont really know much about them other then basic maintenance stuff i have printed off this website. That also will save me a few bucks on install. i dont know about the tip tho, not really my style, and would look out of place on my rust bucket.

Thanks for the input/advise

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
351 windsor head bolts work perfectly for the four lower bolts, top 2 are about 1.3/4 long iirc

89dieselbko

Full Access Member
Reaction score
351 windsor head bolts work perfectly for the four lower bolts, top 2 are about 1.3/4 long iirc

That is some quality information right there. Guess ill hit the JY tomorrow morning and pull a few bolts and hit bolt store on the way back home. Hope to have the bko prepped for the heart Xplant this weekend, next weekend dropping like 1200 for the DMF and new clutch and such, and she should be up and running.

Thanks for everything here guys, im sure im going to have alot of other issues, the only experience i have with diesel is driving customers diesels in and out of the body shop here.

Iowa 73

FNM
Reaction score
If you were closer I would let you pull the trans out of my parts truck for me... I'd let you keep the bolts for your effort. :D