7.3 Wants to keep revving

jrou111

Reaction score
Hey, I've got a 89 F-350 with a 7.1idi and a ZF-5.

First I need to give you a little history. I had microbes growing in the tanks, which wrecked havoc on my fuel system. I replaced all of the fuel lines, the filter & housing. I also put in a carter electronic pump and replaced the IP with a reman. Turns out that in the process of replacing the IP I managed to get the thing out of time 180 deg.

6 months later my father in law, a diesel mechanic, finally fixes it ;Sweet

I've been driving it around on a 5 gal jug of diesel right now till I get a tank.

I've noticed that if I'm driving in 3,4,5 gear (1,2 go too fast to notice) that if I push down the pedal too far it stays for a few seconds and the engine revs, and then lets off. If I push in the clutch it'll bounce off the rev limiter.

Any suggestions of what to look for? I don't want to take it to my FIL cause it'll be another 6mo before he fixes it LOL

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do you have cruise? Try disconnecting the cruise cable and see if that helps.

jrou111

Reaction score
No cruise. I'm gonna check the linkage @ the IP to see if it's binding.

I would think that it's blowby causing a mini-runaway, but that wouldn't explain why the pedal stays down. :dunno

tractorman86

Reaction score
check out the cross shaft on the pedal assymbally, they ware out from time to time and put them selves in a bind. happened to me, replaced the pedal ass. and down the road

diesel4me2

Camping is more importanter!
Reaction score
double check the return springs on the ip also. i removed mine and it reved for a few seconds before settling down. put them back on and it went away.
chris

jrou111

Reaction score
double check the return springs on the ip also. i removed mine and it reved for a few seconds before settling down. put them back on and it went away.
chris

Took a look at it and it's the plastic piece that is jamming and causing the spring to stay compressed. Does anyone know where I can get a replacement for cheap?

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
I assume since your run in with the critters that youv've been running a fuel biocide Like Kill-em in there regularly as a preventitive measure ?