7.3 problems

Teddy23

Reaction score
Have a 93 e350 that i have a question on.Truck most of time anymore won't run,turns over won't run.glow plug system works,fuel solenoid has power and clicks when you turn to start.It can set for as long as 2 months and start up.as fast as it every did..i think that rules out fuel supply ,air leaks,glow plugs .If engine has been running it may do it and not run again for days.....my question ,i'm assuming with solenoid clicking that's good..can the linkage in the pump gum up and not move when solenoid clicks or any ideas...don't mater if its dead of winter or a 90 degree day

Teddy23

Reaction score
There are no dash tach,If it don't turn over fast i hook up battery charger...you learn in time that you don't abuse the starter or you will be pulling it off to be repaired...this week it started for the first time in 2 months...let it run for awhile....when shut it off would not run....turned over with good speed..all glow plugs work and solenoid clicks...no smoke out exhaust while cranking..when it does run ,has good power runs smooth on road..has no fuel leaks,has lift pump and lines replace back to tank and pickup checked all orings replace on inj return lines...i never had to bleed it to get it to run...if you keep trying to start it you gain nothing..i really think it's inside the pump but mechanic's i have talked to says if the solenoid is clicking it should not be a problem with pump.....any idea's

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
So... How many miles are on the injection pump and injectors? To me it sounds like you have the heat soak problem. The injection pump is worn so badly that it can only make pressure when its cold. When its warmed up the clearances are now way too big to make pressure to pop open an injector.You need bout 1800 lbs for a good running engine.Some articles tell you when the impossible to read injection pressure gets to bout 1450 lbs you need a pump. The pouring cool.. NOT COLD water on the back side of the injection pump can cool it enough to shrink the pumping head in that STEEL area of the pump. Pouring it on the aluminum body does no good.If this works it tells you new pump time..

Teddy23

Reaction score
I'll try pouring water again on the steel area.......i don't see where this can help a stone cold pump,this happens more so cold that with hot engine..a lot higher rate of restarting when hot than cold or to me it would start alot better in winter time.it don't.just no rhyme or reason..but i'll try that again, wish whole truck was under water when it does it.......i thank you for the info

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Try it, but my wager is you have a worn pump that has a hot starting issue, but you also have not enough cranking speed for turning over a dead cold engine. Try cleaning all the grounds, cable connections on the batteries and on the starter. The whole truck needs to be shaking when you’re cranking it over, these mechanical injection systems need a lot of cranking speed to make fuel injection, and a worn pump will not help matters. You need two strong batteries, 850cca minimum with a full charge, 12.6-12.8v.

Teddy23

Reaction score
Like always its beside the shop and like said before you don't play with these with low cranking amps,batteries are charged up when i try it and i don't even try without the 110v 200amp charger hooked to it..try one not to long start cycle..if it don't start i leave it..every month or 2 it starts right up..99% of time it don't start..so cranking speed is not an issue and hot engine is not as well...i really agree it's the injection pump but i have never seen one of these do this and just start right up after that long a time without even trying before......thanks for your input...water don't help

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A 200 amp charger isn’t going to help if you have undersized batteries, corroded cables and dirty connections. Did you check what sized batteries are in there and clean all the connections?

Teddy23

Reaction score
Sr,not my truck,but i can assure you that it does turn over fast enough,just giving it a boost so it would be easier on batteries and starter cause i know it don't have a good chance of running..all you have listed would for sure be a concern if it turned over slow when starting... it has no problem cranking...i just don't want to destroy starter and killing batteries ..battery charger does that..i do agree looking at this for 3 or 4 years and checking that it is in pump problem...just didn't want to push it cause the man is tight on income and if it don 't fix it would be sad......i was hoping for a fix without building pump..thanks for comments on pump...worked on 6.9's and 7.3's years back...never were my favorite then or now...thanks again

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ramtough01

Members online

No members online now.