7.3 missing

shawn deere

So many wrenches, so little time...
Reaction score
Got mine 3 months ago
So far
New tires, New radiator, water pump, all hoses, t-stat, belts, primary wires, blower motor and resistor, new brake drums, shoes, fuel filter, (rotors calipers pads-that's this weekend.)
The tires were bald to steel when I bought it, 2 weeks in a heater hose blew off while driving, I just cut and reinstalled to get to work. Then I decided to do a pressure test while I was doing hoses and to my pleasant surprise the rad leaks, so I figured I'll do water pump as well. Then I needed to travel the mountain for work, I put chains on because it was the worse storm of 30+ years and the loose bungee cord decided it didn't like where my brake line was so it took it upon itself to reposition it and thought it was a good idea to paint the road with my brake fluid.
So I also have new brake lines in the back on that side. Oh and I need to install another fuel pump for my rear tank. Oh wait also a return kit this weekend- I have a few lines that leak on the return-one likes to squirt pretty far and pool up on top of the air filter housing.

Sent from my E6830 using Tapatalk
Is that a 1 ton? Front breaks are epic on a 1 ton crew
Also did u already get a new radiator? Im upgrading to an aluminum n the copper one is still in good shape

carrasco4712

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also did u already get a new radiator? Im upgrading to an aluminum n the copper one is still in good shape
Dang. Yes I did the radiator already. And that copper one is a good one, heavy as hell but very good.

carrasco4712

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am new to the 1 ton 7.3
What do you mean they are epic? Bad? Or hard to replace? Mine has the super easy set up to replace.
If you look on one of my recent threads the pictures of brakes are something to show to a shop class.

shawn deere

Reaction score
Just did front breaks and wheel bearings and hub seals.

The rotors have the wheel studs pressed through them into the hub from the back side.
Pull off 4x4 hub
Pull axle nuts
Pull rotor and wheel hub
Pound out studs
Clean wheel hub
Re pack wheel bearings (dont drop one in the dirt)
New seal
Press studs through new rotor into wheel hub
Re install everything....

shawn deere

Reaction score
There is a difference between 1 ton and 1 ton crew front axle fyi. I believe we got the dana 60 instead of a regular cab 1 ton dana 50

carrasco4712

Full Access Member
Reaction score

The rotors have the wheel studs pressed through them into the hub from the back side.
Pull off 4x4 hub
Pull axle nuts
Pull rotor and wheel hub
Pound out studs
Clean wheel hub
New seal
Did you use a -or need a hydraulic press?

carrasco4712

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Pull off 4x4 hub
Pull axle nuts
Pull rotor and wheel hub
Pound out studs
Clean wheel hub
New seal
I doubt my hubs have ever been off my truck in it's life, so maybe I'll do bearings as well. Were yours bad at all?

shawn deere

Reaction score
I used a hammer
Start the nuts on the studs. Hammer the nuts so you dont wreck the stud
Then i used a punch and hammered them back in with the new rotor on.
Not a bad job. Had to locate a bigger axle nut socket. And plan on new seals whilst in there. When it all comes off the spindle, have a super clean floor or a towel down because that outter bearing will go for a dive.

shawn deere

Reaction score
I doubt my hubs have ever been off my truck in it's life, so maybe I'll do bearings as well. Were yours bad at all?

The bearings were not bad actually. But. Dropped one. In the dirt. Didnt think i could clean all the sand out soo did it up right

Fordfan90

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The bearings were not bad actually. But. Dropped one. In the dirt. Didnt think i could clean all the sand out soo did it up right

Do you know if I should get rebuilt injectors or try find some new ones?

shawn deere

Reaction score
I would hit some guys up on here, i know type4 is on vacation. I believe you want the 'bb' injectors. Conastoga diesel would be a good place to get a set. Also R and D has good parts.
I wouldnt go to a parts store for injectors....

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
get new Stanadyne or new Delphi. Anything else is not "new". If you can't get "new" get reman from any of the three sources : 1) Typ4 2) R&D 3) Conestoga diesel. All three sources truly rebuild and balance test their injectors. all the "budget" rebuilders only do a teardown, clean and reassemble injectors. the named three put in new not used tips and needles. that costs money. spend the money ONCE and be done.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There is a difference between 1 ton and 1 ton crew front axle fyi. I believe we got the dana 60 instead of a regular cab 1 ton dana 50
FUD. there is no difference on the Dana 60 FRONT axles other than kingpin or balljoint series. you can interchange the SRW and DRW hubs between the axles. oh yea, just for the hairsplitters, in 1996 & '97 ford did use a different caliper slider system.

shawn deere

Reaction score
Does your miss go away when the pickup is up to operating temp? Could be a bad glow plug if it only misses while cold. For glow plugs only get part number zd9