7.3 lost power/died/crank no start

HondaCowboy82

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just bought this 7.3l. 2000 model. Driving and it seemed sluggish. Cut off and went into a few places. When I jumped back in and got on the road, it seemed like the more I asked of it, the more it bogged until it would hardly pull itself . I pulled onto a side road and shut it off and drained the fuel reservoir to check system. It started and running very rough until it finally shut off. No start since. No CEL. Will hit on ether (yes I know ).... any ideas? Fuel bowl is not filling with keybin which has me thinking fuel pump. But should crank with diesel poured into fuel bowl? IPR?

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Pouring fuel into the fuel bowl means nothing for starting, if it isn't pressurized.
This isn't a gas engine where you can pour fuel into the carb.

See if the pump is making any noise or if it's hot.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
If you have a test light, see if it's getting power.
But it's likely the pump is dead. You can get them at almost any parts store.

HondaCowboy82

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I checked the power with a light and I couldn't find power at my pump with the key on. I jumped power to the hot side of the pump and she started whirring and truck started.

So next question, where do I start to look why she doesn't have power down there? Already checked Maxi Fuse 22.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Probably has its own fuse.
Also has a inertia switch behind the passenger kick panel.

HondaCowboy82

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sort of makes sense. Truck had been wreck and I've been prying and hammering on the door hinges right on the other side of it. Odd that I drove it 15 miles before it shut down though.

greenskeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
could always bypass the inertia switch. It's not a gasser that's going to be pumping gasoline after a wreck. Also once the ECU sees no rpm it shuts off the pump.