7.3 L oil dipstick gasket replacement

Smoky

Reaction score
I have a leak at the 'big nut" holding the oil dipstick holder at the oil pan. is there a gasket that can be replaced behind this nut?

Thanks everyone...

Kevin

Tim the 2lman

Reaction score
I guess I'l take the bait on this. Not sure what year you've got but the one I attempted didn't turn out as easy as I had hoped. There is a large o-ring in the inside of the dipstick tube connector. The hard part is keeping the inner piece from falling down into the oil pan while removing the old o-ring and installing the new one. You can already guess what happened to me. Yup, I lost my grip on it and down to the very bottom of the pan it went. Next came draining the oil, raising the engine, dropping the pan, fishing it out, fixing the problem etc. etc. etc. Oh btw, it's non-ferrrous so a magnet is worthless. You need a tool that will go down the hole that the dipstick came out of then flares out so the inner piece won't slide off of it. Any ideas out there?

nevrknow

Reaction score
I wonder if one of those out of reach hand grabbing thingys would work. The kind that looks like a piece of bicycle brake cable with 4 metal fingers that expand when you push the button on the end of the cable? Or the cable itself may be to large. IKD. Nevr tried it myself. If it works let me know.we'll patent it and make 50 bux. :D

Double-S-Diesel

parts seller
Reaction score
what I have doen on a bunch as I dont want to have to go fishing or pull a motor , is to tighten the nut up, then clean the area real good and use some grey silicon from ford and put a good old glob around it.