7.3 l oil capacity

emmer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know this questions been asked a million times or more but, can someone tell me the oil capacity of my 7.3l idi (including oil filter) ?

Thanks
Joe

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
10 quarts with the "standard" IDI oil filter. 11 quarts if you use a 1st generation PSD filter (Motorcraft FL-1995).

Heath

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Its 10 quarts with the standard short filter or 11 quarts with the taller psd FL 1995 filter... Use the 1995 filter... It holds more... Filters down to a finer media and works better all the way around.... Don't use any Fram filter... They bypass way too much because of the filter media and poor internal design... Same with their fuel filter... Sure looks pretty but not so good for our motors....

emmer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
k....... thanks.......... now are talking about US quarts? I assume you are. I'm in Canada and buy oil in litres.

thx
joe

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
11 U.S. quarts is about 10.41 litres.

10 U.S. quarts is about 9.46 litres.

Heath

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
10L for us Canucks and a decent oil filter...I use 15W40 Rotella and Fleetguard filters....Good stuff and not overly expensive.

GenLightening

Yeah, it's a CHEVY!
Reaction score
And since no one mentioned it, when you check the oil the engine needs to be warmed up and then let it sit for 5 minutes or so. If you check it cold it will look like it's too low, and after you add some to it and warm things up it will be very overfilled.

rwk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
wix filters website has all the technical stuff on filters, thread size , micron rating, bypass pressure, ect , you can always confirm size and thread for filters in question, the one were talking about is just longer in length, I use that 1995 (motorcraft pn) in both 6.9 and 7.3 T, forgot the wix pn. I printed out all the pages of the filters we use for ref. I also buy them on amazon, "doesn't fit" keeps amazon out of trouble, should be," not made for but fits"
rwk

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
I have a 1990 f350 7.3 and amazon.com says the fl1995 filter doesn't fit? It's calling for the fl784

Well you are reading something some fool printed up at Amazon that has never seen or changed oil in anything. So listening to members here that have used the FL1995 powerstroke filter and it fits well. Clearly the decision is yours to make.
When I purchased my rig back in 96 I have a Fram fuel and oil filter. My feelings were thats great because I watch commercials. Well after reading here and on another ford diesel forum I found this was not true bout Fram filters for any thing. So I used the oem size filters till I was reading up on the FL1995. Even then I was suspect. That was 1999 or so. The 1995 filters media filters down more than the oem small filter because the powerstroke engines requier a cleaner oil to fire the injectors. But now its your choice.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Its not that it won't fit, it's because the part number doesn't match for the application.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Its not that it won't fit, it's because the part number doesn't match for the application.

Ya but they don't realize that the filter head is the same. Icanfixall..there is absolutely nothing wrong with the frame ultra other than its price. It's even got a wire backed media! I would use one without a 2nd thought.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Yeah, but thats what I'm saying. The parts systems don't know that unless you manually look up the info.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Members online