7.3 into a suburban?

bump it

Reaction score
I am new here and new to the diesel engine craze.

My current rockcrawler hauler is an 89 gmc suburban 350/350 3/4 ton 4:10 gears. Out behind my shop I have a 95 7.3 turbodiesel with 5 speed tranny and xfer case. I know the history of the 7.3 and it is a good motor.

Do you see where this is going?

After thinking about it for a few days this is what I have come up with.

-Swap in the motor and tranny.
-Ditch the xfer case and put in a divorced 205 w passenger drop(that way I can keep the chevy axle and steering etc)
-build a heavier springpack upfront for the heavy motor

Other considerations:

I do have a 3 speed brownie box that I could put in front of the xfer case(then I would have 4 driveshafts).
I don't know if I need a dedicated 2 wheel drive tranny or if the 4 wd one will work.
The usual custom drive shafts etc.

I own both a mig and tig machine, as well as plasma cutter, full shop etc. Custom fab is not a problem.

Do you know of anybody that has done this swap?
Please give me all the reasons why I should not do this. I want to know what I am up against.

The vehicle will need to cruise all day at freeway speeds..........I need it to be reliable. I have plenty of other vehicles...............so I can take my time and do it right.

discbrks

Reaction score
Do you have the entire donor truck or just the engine & trans.? I ask because there is a lot of wiring associated with a powerstroke. It can be done... if you're up to the wiring part.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I didn't see any mention of a PSD. We've got a 7.3 IDI in a Chevy or two already. Seek out Genlightning, or one of the other guys who have done it in the IDI forum.

1800joedaddy

Reaction score
I am new here and new to the diesel engine craze.

My current rockcrawler hauler is an 89 gmc suburban 350/350 3/4 ton 4:10 gears. Out behind my shop I have a 95 7.3 turbodiesel with 5 speed tranny and xfer case. I know the history of the 7.3 and it is a good motor.

Do you see where this is going?

After thinking about it for a few days this is what I have come up with.

-Swap in the motor and tranny.
-Ditch the xfer case and put in a divorced 205 w passenger drop(that way I can keep the chevy axle and steering etc)
-build a heavier springpack upfront for the heavy motor

Other considerations:

I do have a 3 speed brownie box that I could put in front of the xfer case(then I would have 4 driveshafts).
I don't know if I need a dedicated 2 wheel drive tranny or if the 4 wd one will work.
The usual custom drive shafts etc.

I own both a mig and tig machine, as well as plasma cutter, full shop etc. Custom fab is not a problem.

Do you know of anybody that has done this swap?
Please give me all the reasons why I should not do this. I want to know what I am up against.

The vehicle will need to cruise all day at freeway speeds..........I need it to be reliable. I have plenty of other vehicles...............so I can take my time and do it right.

Your going to need a lot! What you'll need most is dedication. The engine you've described is a powerstroke, it will fit and run, but you're going to need the entire wiring harness, IDM and computor. I
ve seen PSD's in everything from jeeps to S-10 pick-ups and the opinion is "would have used a Cummins if I did it again". That's not to say that 1 is better, just the cummins is easier. The swap is the easy part, other than finding room for that turbo you'll need a dodge divorced T-case. Hooking up the wiring and speedo is the hard part. GOOD LUCK

Clydesdale

Full Access Member
Reaction score
except keep the trans/t-case (BW 1356., 2.89 low range ratio) and still run your 205 divorced, then you have 2:1/3:1/and 6:1 reduction. And you still get the correct output side.

ANd you have a spare out put shaft the front one off the 1356.. for a PTO operated accesory.

The Granny in the ZF is 4.5:1... so... you are 28ish to 1 before you factor in final drive ratio....
(ruff calculations on my diesel, staying 4.10 and running a 39.. gives me a net final drive of 3.34 or so to one, and a crawl ratio of 85:1.. which is plenty low for a full sixe/full size diesel, or so I have read.)

Bonuses to being a diesel, you can cheat the laws of gearing, and be a little taller than you would want with gas, and still Krawl okay, drive okay. plus with a 6:1 box.... you are pimp **** on the rox.

This is my build Formula, except I am Ditching the Ford axles and going with Military GM's, in theory I gain to a 4.56, as opposed to my 4.10.. and most of them are Eatoned in the rear, and have some fascimile of a LSD in the front....(which will probably put me on a 42 down the road, and bump my krawl to 90ish to 1)

Last edited:

bump it

Reaction score
I didn't see any mention of a PSD. We've got a 7.3 IDI in a Chevy or two already. Seek out Genlightning, or one of the other guys who have done it in the IDI forum.

Thanks a ton, no it is not a powerstroke. I have searched for posts on the swap. I will just have to keep bothering guys like you and Genlightening. I know a cummins would be easier.............however I don't own a cummins I own the 7.3 and it was free. How difficult will the wiring be...........what should I be getting from the donor truck. It is still in the junkyard down the road.

Thanks again for your help.

1800joedaddy

Reaction score
Thanks a ton, no it is not a powerstroke. I have searched for posts on the swap. I will just have to keep bothering guys like you and Genlightening. I know a cummins would be easier.............however I don't own a cummins I own the 7.3 and it was free. How difficult will the wiring be...........what should I be getting from the donor truck. It is still in the junkyard down the road.

Thanks again for your help.

I'm sorry, I thought you said it was a 95' wait a minute... you did. That means that someone has aready changed the motor out. Starting in 94' you could get the "Direct Injection 7.3" which was renamed the "Power Stroke" in 95' and the IDI was banished into diesel extinction.

bump it

Reaction score
I'm sorry, I thought you said it was a 95' wait a minute... you did. That means that someone has aready changed the motor out. Starting in 94' you could get the "Direct Injection 7.3" which was renamed the "Power Stroke" in 95' and the IDI was banished into diesel extinction.

I am sure I was wrong with the year of the truck. I know it was the stock engine. I know it is not a powerstroke. I found the right transfercase today.

So the plan is as follows.

7.3 IDI/5sp manual/3 sp brownie box/Divorced 205 transfer case

I have everything but the 5sp manual 2wd. I do have a 5sp manual 4wd. Anyone want to trade?

I will have to get everything together and finish a couple of other projects before I start this one. Any other insight out there?
Thanks again.........this is a great site.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds good the 7.3 IDI won't be too bad of a swap I don't think. Just make sure that engine is in good shape before you do all the work to make it happen.