7.3 IDI won't stay running

Sealboy_04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 91 7.3 IDI is decently hard to start in sub 20 degree temps. I plug it in but it still doesn't start easily. It will start on the first try bit 2 sec later it abruptly dies. Then it takes 15-20 seconds to start. I figured fuel line bad but I just replaced the fuel pump and the flexible line attached to it 4 months ago. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you

Bowtech28

Reaction score
Are your glow plugs in working order

10-4 . Mine did the same and it was a combo GPs And the filter housing was leaking ever so slightly. the little bit of fuel at the filter and lines would start it but then it would die.Easy fix (orings) and works great now.

Black dawg

Reaction score
My 91 7.3 IDI is decently hard to start in sub 20 degree temps. I plug it in but it still doesn't start easily. It will start on the first try bit 2 sec later it abruptly dies. Then it takes 15-20 seconds to start. I figured fuel line bad but I just replaced the fuel pump and the flexible line attached to it 4 months ago. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you

air intrusion. Any fuel leaks, any wet injector caps, how old are the returns?

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
air intrusion. Any fuel leaks, any wet injector caps, how old are the returns?

X 2.

The 'ol "Starts............ but dies after a few seconds......... crank it for a bit and it restarts" ................

Classic symptom of a fuel/air leak. If it gets really cold and the fuel starts to gel... it can act the same way, but won't restart until the fuel liquifies again.

Heath

Sealboy_04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All of my GPs are new as well a controller. Returns aren't 2-3yrs old either. I'll take a gander at the caps and such to see though.

On a side note, has anyone see one of these IDIs have no compression in a cylinder then miraculously gain it back? Just happened to me. Engine was running very rough, had reputable shop do leak down and found bad rings. Couple o weeks later it all of the sudden started to smooth out on the drive home from work. No, it doesn't smoke nearly a much and is smooth as silk. Smoother than the day I bought it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nanohawk

Members online