7.3 IDI won't stay running

sam shelly

Reaction score
Adjusting the pump timing doesn't seem to make a difference. Truck still dies after 10 - 15 min of driving. I've ordered moose injectors and return line kit to rule out any leaks in the return line system before I get a new injection pump. If that doesn't work then I'll be getting a pump from moose diesel too. If I'm gonna do the pump a third time I want it to be from a reputable company. Hoping they'll accept the original core plus the faulty one for some sort of discount. The other company doesn't accept returns if they have been installed in the engine already :mad:

gandalf

Reaction score
... The other company doesn't accept returns if they have been installed in the engine already :mad:
How are you supposed to know the pump has a problem before you install it? They, in effect, are offering no return service. What a rip-off!

You can't go wrong with Conestoga Diesel. Mel's outfit does very good work.

sam shelly

Reaction score
I finally got the mini moose injection pump from Conestoga/Moose Diesel and it fixed the issue. Still have to adjust timing but at least it runs and drives now without dying. Thanks everyone for the suggestions and help.

Quick question - I have the pump lined up with the line on the housing and there's a decent amount of smoke on startup and black smoke at full throttle. Does this mean I have to advance or retard the timing?

Last edited:

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
The lines on the pump and the housing mean nothing after the IP is rebuilt. They are a good starting point and that's all. I would try advancing the timing first. From my experience, most of the IPs seem to like to be advanced from these marks. Without a meter, it's a guessing game. Trial and error.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ramtough01