7.3 idi Wont run after installing electric pump

Jbone36

Reaction score
Removed mechanical , Installed 11 psi s eachoice facet pump. Was running before I replaced mechanical pump but very hard starts and sometimes none without alot of work. Injector rerurn lines and caps are new but now today after installing elec pump if pump is running and i wiggle or press down slightly on the injector lines they bubble..all of them bubble and leak fuel when depressed. Also i have fuel intrusion from tank because i can see it bubble through clear installed line to pump. But that said, it started with the mechanical but wont start with the electric. It fires up and then dies..light spray of ether around opening of air filter and it fires and dies but there is fuel. And it ran with mechanical. Is there a need to adjust injection timing due to more fuel?

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
Check the fuel pressure. Easiest way is at the fuel filter head. I take out the bleeder valve core (with a tire valve core remover) and stick on a HFT fuel pressure test gauge, hose just shoved on the barb.

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pump install f*u*b*a*r... P.C.natzi's
Never touch the returns once installed!
No ether!
Wiring issue to ip or pump.
And for grins hit the stickies.

Last edited:

MtnHaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Perhaps the wiring to the fuel shutoff solenoid was not hooked up correctly. When you turn the key forward for the glow plugs you should hear an audible click at the IP. If your FSS doesn't open then there's no fuel to the IP.

TexasTruck

Reaction score
I recently did the Seachoice/Duralift Facet pump. Same exact thing happened to me. I was losing my mind. This SHOULD just work.

My mechanical pump worked fine without any of this hassle. Except for the pesky hard starts.

After much tinkering it came down to too much air in the system being caused by a loose intake line hose clamp that was introducing air bubbles into the system (pump strainer and secondary engine filter/heater assembly).

My conclusion is:

There can be no air introduced between the intake side of the electric pump and the injection pump.

After much bleeding, hair pulling and childish fits it starts and runs fine now.

Last edited:

Jbone36

Reaction score
I recently did the Seachoice/Duralift Facet pump. Same exact thing happened to me. I was losing my mind. This SHOULD just work.

My mechanical pump worked fine without any of this hassle. Except for the pesky hard starts.

After much tinkering it came down to too much air in the system being caused by a loose intake line hose clamp that was introducing air bubbles into the system (pump strainer and secondary engine filter/heater assembly).

My conclusion is:

There can be no air introduced between the intake side of the electric pump and the injection pump.

The injection return lines are new but im not trusting those clips they give you in the kit. Im leaning towards air filter fittings im goung ti delete what i can and hook up more clear lines. Im getting obvious air from tank as i have a clear line at inlet side of pump and can hear gurgling under tank. Glow plugs are new motorcraft. Controller is sending voltage to them. The IP clicks when disconecting spaid power.
the
lines are new

TexasTruck

Reaction score
Yeah I have new lines too. I had one leaking with a very small leak rubber to metal. I thought I would mention it.

TexasTruck

Reaction score
Pump install f*u*b*a*r... P.C.natzi's
Never touch the returns once installed!
No ether!
Wiring issue to ip or pump.
And for grins hit the stickies.

It took me a minute to decipher the first line. I'm still working on deciphering the last line. :D

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The top of the section has
stickies

Start at 7.3-6.9 idi forum here....
look at the top of the page
hit the tech section
Look at the stickies for links to important stuff!
and above that idi tech section
Is at the header

we
@Shaggy
still have not gotten a disclaimer in the faccet 101 thread in the tech section stating it is not the holy grail!
could save an @$$ load of issues...

Many of us towing have dumped the Fawcett for holly...

Last edited:

TexasTruck

Reaction score
My apologies JBone36.

After "hitting the stickies" it appears that I made a several mistakes first choosing and then installing the Seachoice/Duralift Facet pump to replace my mechanical lift pump.

One thing I noticed when doing my change over was that while it did work after some headaches the volume of fuel it delivered versus the mechanical pump was quite noticeably "less". This could be because I have it mounted high up on the well in the engine compartment while the mechanical rides near tank level. Ideally the replacement pump (or any pump for that matter) should be equal to or lower than the tank levels similar to the mechanical's height in the frame.

Having already spent the money and not wanting to spend more to get a Walbro/Holley I will make changes to my mounting location (closer to the fuel selector valve on the frame) and push the fuel through more line than I am pulling from. I will also be installing a Racor style water separator in that location to reduce water from reaching the engine filter.

I don't know the height where you have yours installed but I suspect this could be a really big issue regarding flow with these pumps if they are mounted higher in the frame than the mechanicals.

Hope this helps.

MtnHaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Don't waste yopur time moving the pump. The Facet seems to work best when it lifts the fuel rather than pushing it. They do flow less fuel--it's not an illusion. Yes I still have mine installed but it's just because I haven't had/made time to install another pump. The 9-11psi Facet works OK on a stock setup but if I push hard up a grade in 2nd or 3rd gear it doesn't take long for the Fuel Filter light to come on. Keep it mounted in the engine bay--mine has done fine there for a couple years now.

Jbone36

Reaction score
Now im debating just putting the mechanical back on..after installation of the electric pump it wont run at all, although atleast now i can see its sucking air from the tank side..if i go that route is there a trick to get them to sit right on the lobe?

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Someone did a mech pump installation 101 somwhere here...
Fwiw set the lobe UP Stuff pump in, evenly tight n the 2 bolts down.
BUUUUUT
You need to fix the air intrusion FIRST.