7.3 idi with 6.2 Detroit governor spring install

Trustyrusty

Reaction score
So I've been installing a 6.2 Detroit spring in my 7.3 IDI and I'm just putting it back together now but I have a question, first off the pedal is quite a bit heavier than is normal correct? (Due to the heavier governor spring) and second off does somebody have a step by step kind of how it's supposed to look putting it back in? Just because I feel like I might be missing something and also where exactly the shut-off hook should go.

Attachments

• 1661294064025872055080351677670.jpg
    1661294064025872055080351677670.jpg
    395.5 KB · Views: 18
  • 16612940999793692926746513429393.jpg
    16612940999793692926746513429393.jpg
    431.7 KB · Views: 16

Black dawg

Reaction score
Hey world, newbie here looking to ask a question that's probably already been answered. I just bought a 1991 Ford f250 with a 7.3 turbo and a manual transmission, truck starts up perfectly with a brand new starter and glow plug relay set. Yesterday I decided to have a little fun and give er some revs (all of them) and then I did some hard acceleration where it started slightly popping under load and then once I stopped accelerating and was just cruising it was still popping. So I pulled over to the side and turned off the truck and then turned it back on and that fixed the problem. Could this possibly be sticky valves? I'm not entirely sure since I'm new to the diesel scene.
What are you hoping to gain with the gov speed increase when this set up already isnt happy being treated like its part of the ricer scene?

hacked89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What's even better is he's been active.. But not following up.
Maybe cause most people didn’t answer his question?

OP - I assume if you made it this far you know your probably gonna float the valves with stock springs at high RPM and there’s not much clearance between the valve and the piston on an IDI. You can put PowerStroke valve springs but as a whole the assembly isn’t designed to rev to 4500+

Here’s the manual for what you are asking so you can put it back together:

Enjoy

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
Search under user dyoung14…….

Not sure if the videos are still out there…. But he had some fun with his bullnose……. He did the GM governor spring, and posted a few videos…..

I’ll just say… if you think the sound of a Ford IDI against the stock 33-3600-ish governor is bad………..

u2slow

bilge rat
Reaction score
If the gm spring acts like a Cummins gov spring upgrade.... Doesn't mean you have to use the top end. It will improve throttle response at lower rpm.

Black dawg

Reaction score
Many years ago, I added this spring to a 7.3 that had an o88 turbo kit. Modified pump to deliver more fuel. Would pretty easily make 20 psi, and way high egt, point being that, there was lots of fuel being delivered. It was fun at first to be able to turn it that hard, but in the end never really needed to spin it that fast to go fast or pull trailers.....turned about 4200

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Many years ago, I added this spring to a 7.3 that had an o88 turbo kit. Modified pump to deliver more fuel. Would pretty easily make 20 psi, and way high egt, point being that, there was lots of fuel being delivered. It was fun at first to be able to turn it that hard, but in the end never really needed to spin it that fast to go fast or pull trailers.....turned about 4200
I'm not a rocket scientist when it comes to this stuff, but if I was gonna build a hot rod motor.....I wouldn't use an 7.3idi. I'd go for something s little more......say......hot rodish..... maybe. In my humble but accurate opinion, with a little turbo charging our engines are fantastic for regular mechanical type folks, they're even just fine NA.

Black dawg

Reaction score
I'm not a rocket scientist when it comes to this stuff, but if I was gonna build a hot rod motor.....I wouldn't use an 7.3idi. I'd go for something s little more......say......hot rodish..... maybe. In my humble but accurate opinion, with a little turbo charging our engines are fantastic for regular mechanical type folks, they're even just fine NA.
almost 20 years later, I couldnt agree more.

But, thats what "hot rodding" is.......whether it is a car, a chainsaw, a lawnmower, or even just reloads for the old hunting rifle......

And in defense of my younger/dumber? self, it would have taken one hell of a 460 to keep up with that truck.....trailer or not.