7.3 idi starts up then dies

1978FrankenFord

Reaction score
Hello i have a 7.3 idi with factory turbo kit and I recently replaced the engine in it. I have been driving it around for about 2 weeks with no issues and then one day I was at a buddys house and the truck was parked sort of at an incline with the nose facing upwards and I went to start it after probably 6 or 7 hours of sitting there and it started up like normal and then after probably 5 seconds it died. I didnt know what the issue was so I towed it home that weekend and I bled the lines and found out I have air in the system. It has been doing this ever since then. I go to start it in the morning and it dies after 5 seconds, it only does this after sitting for a long period of time like 8 hours. i know it was leaking from the injector caps so I replaced the o rings and caps on the ones that were leaking and thought I fixed the problem but I havent. I was just curious as to what else it may be, Any help is appreciated!

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You have air getting in that is aloeing fuel to drain back on your supply side. I would install a check valve on the rubber line by the frame/lift pump and see if you get any improvement

1978FrankenFord

Reaction score
I found a couple o rings that needed replaced so I replaced them an i also found it was leaking from the return line from the filter to the IP. Ill find out if this was it in the morning