7.3 idi starting problem

Cdl250

Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

this is the proper way to set timing when you have the injection pump and the housing as one unit.

The the glow plugs should clearly say beru if not, go out and buy a set of 8 beru/Motorcraft glow plugs, because other brands will swell and get stuck or break a glow plug tip off and then you will be pulling the heads,

Since there from accurate diesel, I (guess) there ok but I would rather spend 10-20 extra on beru/motorcraft than risk a head removal.

I also noticed that said that you burn a lot of oil, have you changed your cdr, it's the tuna can behind the intake.

I have motorcrafts now , and i just replaced the cdr. And il have to reset the timing.

Cdl250

Reaction score
Aren't the 6.9 & 7.3 IP's a little bit different? They have different part numbers & I read somewhere they work at slightly different fuel pressures, maybe need to use the 6.9 injectors if you are using the 6.9 IP?
6.9-7.3 injectors are the sams code , same part number.

quickster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How old are your batteries? Are you getting enough rpms when you start? A warm engine will spin alot more freely compared to ice cold. Another thing to check is your fuel filter. Before you start unscrew it and check how much fuel you have in it. If it's below half it's draining back to the tank. That means an air leak. Hard starting is a sign of air intrusion.

mobilemech

Full Access Member
Reaction score
did you replace the olives on the steel supply and return lines? thats where you can have air intrusion and not show a fuel leak. with an air leak in this area, your fuel system will drain itself back to tank after sitting a while or over night and will be hard starting, long cranking to get fuel back in system. that is the first place i would look

BDCarrillo

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You can slip a couple o rings inside the female end of the olive fitting so the steel line seats on them. Quick and easy way to help rule out one connection.

Cdl250

Reaction score
How old are your batteries? Are you getting enough rpms when you start? A warm engine will spin alot more freely compared to ice cold. Another thing to check is your fuel filter. Before you start unscrew it and check how much fuel you have in it. If it's below half it's draining back to the tank. That means an air leak. Hard starting is a sign of air intrusion.

Batteries are only a year old, il have to check the filter

Cdl250

Reaction score
did you replace the olives on the steel supply and return lines? thats where you can have air intrusion and not show a fuel leak. with an air leak in this area, your fuel system will drain itself back to tank after sitting a while or over night and will be hard starting, long cranking to get fuel back in system. that is the first place i would look

I think i replaced all of them.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The differences in 6.9 and 7.3 injection pumps are minimal, and nothing noteworthy. The main difference is in the calibration. We sell our IP's in such a way as to consider 6.9 and 7.3 engines as equals. This eliminates much of the confusion and reduces the 10 different part numbers down to one. Of course then we have 6 different fueling levels, but that's a different subject. Injectors are all the same for our purposes as well. The glow plugs COULD be all the same, but because of the different connectors, we still have to carry both styles.

Cdl250

Reaction score
The differences in 6.9 and 7.3 injection pumps are minimal, and nothing noteworthy. The main difference is in the calibration. We sell our IP's in such a way as to consider 6.9 and 7.3 engines as equals. This eliminates much of the confusion and reduces the 10 different part numbers down to one. Of course then we have 6 different fueling levels, but that's a different subject. Injectors are all the same for our purposes as well. The glow plugs COULD be all the same, but because of the different connectors, we still have to carry both styles.

Im running my 6.9 wiring harness with the 6.9 glow plugs.

Kistthesky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The differences in 6.9 and 7.3 injection pumps are minimal, and nothing noteworthy. The main difference is in the calibration. We sell our IP's in such a way as to consider 6.9 and 7.3 engines as equals. This eliminates much of the confusion and reduces the 10 different part numbers down to one. Of course then we have 6 different fueling levels, but that's a different subject. Injectors are all the same for our purposes as well.

Interesting, was also thinking if you just swap a used pump on there might be an issue since the pump and injectors wear together?

Can30Diesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Kistthesky said:
Interesting, was also thinking if you just swap a used pump on there might be an issue since the pump and injectors wear together?

It is strongly suggested that both are replaced at the same time. However not everyone has the ability to do so. I do wonder though (unless I missed it further up) why the old pump was considered bad. How old are the injectors?

Cdl250

Reaction score
It is strongly suggested that both are replaced at the same time. However not everyone has the ability to do so. I do wonder though (unless I missed it further up) why the old pump was considered bad. How old are the injectors?

I was told that i should put my 6.9 pump on bevause there was a problem with the 7.3 pump, i didnt ask because i knew my 6.9 pump worked fine .