7.3 IDI oil cooler

GusZiegler

Reaction score
Looking for an oil cooler for my truck and i haven't had much luck. Non of the scrap yards around here have any and the only ones i can find on the internet are brand new and 400+ dollars. If you know where to get one or are selling one that would be very helpful. Also, any thoughts on zinc coating?

Thanks, Gus.

racin460

Full Access Member
Reaction score
call mel at Conestoga diesel he rebuilds them so he might have some for sall

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looking for an oil cooler for my truck and i haven't had much luck. Non of the scrap yards around here have any and the only ones i can find on the internet are brand new and 400+ dollars. If you know where to get one or are selling one that would be very helpful. Also, any thoughts on zinc coating?

Thanks, Gus.
What wrong with your oil cooler?
I have a separate tube bundle and a complete oil cooler rebuilt in excellent shape. If interested PM me.

GusZiegler

Reaction score
What wrong with your oil cooler?
I have a separate tube bundle and a complete oil cooler rebuilt in excellent shape. If interested PM me.

It corroded through on the side and is leaking oil right after i replace the orings.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Sad to learn your cooler rusted thru. Damn salt kills everything. So how will you prevent the replacement cooler from melting from the rust demons. Might think about some bed liner in a spray can or maybe some undercoating spray in a can. Or a pint of good quality red lead paint. Anything is better thn what they come painted with..

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It corroded through on the side and is leaking oil right after i replace the orings.

Your answer is not very specific.
Is the header corroded thru? Or is it the tube bundle?

Like I said above, here it is again.

GusZiegler

Reaction score
Sad to learn your cooler rusted thru. Damn salt kills everything. So how will you prevent the replacement cooler from melting from the rust demons. Might think about some bed liner in a spray can or maybe some undercoating spray in a can. Or a pint of good quality red lead paint. Anything is better thn what they come painted with..

I'm looking into zinc electroplating if i can find someone near me who does it for a reasonable price

GusZiegler

Reaction score
Your answer is not very specific.
Is the header corroded thru? Or is it the tube bundle?

Like I said above, here it is again.

The tube bundle has a small pinhole that i assume is from rusting out. there are no dents or scrapes so rust is the best bet. Even with such a small hole (you wouldn't know it was there if the truck wasn't running) it pushes oil through like you wouldn't believe. As for your tube bundle, another member pm'd me before you posted your reply and I'm working out a deal. If it doesn't go through ill contact you next.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
placidoert

Members online