7.3 IDI Oil Cooler Rear Header

Wvdirtroad

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello- I am new to these forums. I own an 89 Ford F-250 Regular cab 7.3 IDI. I removed the oil cooler for rebuild yesterday and accidentally dropped the rear header portion that holds the oil filter and cracked it. I'm having an impossible time finding a replacement. Could someone point me in the right direction? I'm dead in the water and have no vehicle u til I can find one.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i have a spare.
if you want to make me an offer, ill part with it.
but before you do so, you MUST donate 10 bucks to the site.

http://www.oilburners.net/forums/payments.php
(may be subtracted from your reasonable offer)

BTW, welcome to the best indirect injection diesel (by IH) site on the net.

Last edited:

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
I'm not sure if these are discontinued from Ford. Might try International too. They built the engines to fit our trucks and vans. Btw the van rear header is different and will not fit in the truck application. Same with the front header. Way back in 06 I paid around $400.00 for a new one from FPO or Bob Utter Ford in Texas.

Wvdirtroad

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I searched high and low last night for a few hours. The part number is discontinued unfortunately and I everything I read indicated that the powerstrokes and the vans have different headers. Kind of stinks for the IDI guys because as these trucks get older and older, these parts are only going to get more scarce. Outside of custom fabbing or finding an old one, its going to be next to impossible. I appreciate the help and reccomendations though!

Its almost as frustrating as trying to find a replacement rear fuel tank sender.

Wvdirtroad

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Son of a gun! I looked for a few days and never came across it. Thank you!

Let me run something else by you guys- I separated the front portion of the oil cooler tonight and I found a rusty colored water substance along with a few small metal spindles that fell out of he inside of the cooler. One hole was partially blocked but cleared easily and inside the cooler it looked like there may be a couple small pieces of metal still lingering but I have to look closer. See pics below. Is this normal? On another note the gaskets nearest the end of the cooler were still fairly flexible but the insides were hard as a rock and split when I touched them. The truck has about 230k miles on it. It appears to never have been rebuilt.

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

bbjordan

Snow Monkey
Reaction score
Looks like the one I pulled apart yesterday. It had three tubes plugged up!

It is amazing the stuff you find on the inside of engines. I found fuel pump parts in one of mine. :eek:

It's hard to tell, but those look like needle bearing rollers.

Wvdirtroad

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks like the one I pulled apart yesterday. It had three tubes plugged up!

It is amazing the stuff you find on the inside of engines. I found fuel pump parts in one of mine. :eek:

It's hard to tell, but those look like needle bearing rollers.

I'd assume it could be something from possibly the oil pump or the valve train assembley? Anything to be concerned with or are those findings fairly typical? Other than that I think the cooler appears to be in good shape for never being redone in 230k miles.

bbjordan

Snow Monkey
Reaction score
I doubt that it from the oil pump or valve train. It looks like something foreign. I wouldn't say that this is typical either. Something to make you go hmmm, tho. :) Was it found on the coolant side or the oil side?

I found a brazing rod works good for rodding out the cooler tubes.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
needle bearings is exactly what it looks like.

what in our engines use needle bearings???

i cant think of anything!

ever throw a front driveshaft?
weird.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Please put your truck info in your signature, on multi posts it's hard to keep track of what truck you refer to.
If that isn't oil on the outside edge, polish them up so you don't cut the o'rings when assembling.

Don't know of any needle bearings in these engines, only place there would be any would be the oil pump, I've got an engine tore down, will look and let you know later. Oil pump is a gear pump.

BDCarrillo

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If it was in the coolant side I'd think a water pump blew up at some point in it's past. I haven't opened up a pump to verify what type of bearings they use.

If it was in the oil side, a lifter may be shot. They're the only possible source of needle bearings I can think of on the oil side... The oil pump didn't have any bearings if my memory is accurate

The photo makes it hard to judge the size of them

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online