7.3 IDI into 1978 4x2 let the fun begin!

lindstromjd

Black Sheep
Reaction score
Is there going to be a photo gallery?
I suggest getting everything together, gathering all your pictures, and making one single thread about it. I personally hate having to dig through 300+ people "subscribing" and asking questions in the middle of a build thread. I want to see everything up front, with descriptions and pictures right at the beginning. I don't like searching through 15 pages just to find out what happened in the build.

SHARPIE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like a good plan to make a simple build only post, Got the donor apart today going to pull the motor apart and redo all the gaskets did a compression test before pulling, It came in at 400PSI + per cylinder maxed out the gauge, Can the injector pump be pulled without loosing its timing?

lindstromjd

Black Sheep
Reaction score
Sounds like a good plan to make a simple build only post, Got the donor apart today going to pull the motor apart and redo all the gaskets did a compression test before pulling, It came in at 400PSI + per cylinder maxed out the gauge, Can the injector pump be pulled without loosing its timing?

Yes, just take a center punch and make a mark on the injection pump and the timing cover so they match up exactly. Then, when you take the IP off, you can line those marks back up and put it back on exactly where it was. While you've got the engine apart, it would be a good idea to check all your main bearings, and rebuild the oil cooler, as well. And since you're doing head gaskets, you can get yourself a TYP4 cam for it for about $150... designed specifically to help the turbo spool faster and deliver around 10% better performance.

SHARPIE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have been looking around but cant find any info on the oil cooler is it just "O" rings? My main goal right now is to get the motor in and running, Not knowing the history of the motor and any clearance issues I wont be running a turbo.

lindstromjd

Black Sheep
Reaction score
I have been looking around but cant find any info on the oil cooler is it just "O" rings? My main goal right now is to get the motor in and running, Not knowing the history of the motor and any clearance issues I wont be running a turbo.

Yup... o-rings and a good cleaning.

SHARPIE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It'll be inserting to see the condition of the bearings and the oiling system in this motor, All the radiator hoses are the originals so I'm guessing its a low mileage motor but as with any old vehicle you never know it has 78000 on the clock and dirty as hell underneath it looks like an old farming or logging truck and the inside of the bed is beat to hell, I swear I took off 200LBS of mud off the undercarriage.

84TD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
going to be tough w/out a body lift, mine has about 2 in and everything fits nice. I know for sure there would not be enough room for a down pipe without it if you ever plan on adding a turbo.

manimal

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Why not add hydroboost brakes? Then you wont have the interference with the booster(?).

SHARPIE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
going to be tough w/out a body lift, mine has about 2 in and everything fits nice. I know for sure there would not be enough room for a down pipe without it if you ever plan on adding a turbo.

Nice Rig!

Why not add hydroboost brakes? Then you wont have the interference with the booster(?).

Its really not so much the booster, I dont want to hack up my floors as much as possible I have a custom built console and I'd hate to have to redo it too.

Body lift on the way.

SHARPIE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know which one would be coming out of the EEC to the tach? I have the loop from the motor to EEC...not sure what pin # it would be to dash,or if its suppose to be spliced into the same wire from the motor.

Last edited:

ford390gashog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Body lift is not possible on a two wheel drive truck of this era. Unless you get very custom with a new steering column. Mine has no body lift and I am running a banks non wg kit on mine just fine. Work from the trans mount forward. You will be able to use the stock mount and driveshaft that way. All you need then is motor mounts and it's done!

SHARPIE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks ford390 how was you clearance on the p.s. box, That was my plan to put the motor and tranny together slide the drive shaft in and then build the frame mounts, The only issue I see is the starter may be a little tight.