7.3 idi has me stumped help please

greenthunder7.3

Reaction score
I have an 89 7.3 idi that cranks for 10 to 12 seconds before starting. I have read up a lot on these and still cannot seem to get it to start I have done the following

-replaced return lines and caps. installed clear line on pump return and it holds fuel.
- installed anti blled back valve in fuel line
-replaced fuel filter and it is always full of fuel when I take it down to look
- change fuel transfer pump
- removed injectors and had them pop tested and they were good.
- changed the O-rings on the line going from fuel filter base to rear of pump
- changed injection pump out with one off of a good starting truck.
- checked all individual glow plugs and they are all good
- checked to make sure relay is sending power to each glowplug wire and they are all good.

I have no fuel leaks and once the truck has ran for a little while it will start good again but it sits for a couple hours takes 10 to 12 seconds to start. what is wrong with this thing? any help or ideas would be great.

mufflerbearing

Oil can
Reaction score
sounds like fuel But if it's not fuel then glow plugs and if it's not glow plugs then maybe its low compression how did you check your glow plugs? did you pull them out and look at the end of them? I checked mine by testing continuity but when I pulled them out and looked at them some had missing tips. cookoo my book said to test with a light bulb from the positive battery post to the glow plug tip. but look at the glow plug tips and only buy Motorcraft bereu/germany glow plugs. Test Your Battery. if you have not already.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum. Whats posted above has really covered reasons for slow start. As already asked. How fast does the engine crank over when you try to start. It MUST spin faster than you can count rpm. If its sluggish then you need to know why before spending money on starters, batteries or cables. Timing also has an effect on starting. My rebuilt engine was so retarded on timing it fired off like a big cam gasser. Slow to fire and lopped big time. I read that you replaced the injection pump. Without a timing meter you can't get it correctly timed. Those lines are just that. Silly lines that means only something to the original pump from the factory. Nothing more. Every injection pump is internally timed differently. Its just how they are repaired.

greenthunder7.3

Reaction score
Engine cranks with great speed and batteries test good. I was thinking by the way it acts like fuel is bleeding off as well but i have the clear line in place and it never bleeds off. I checked the glowplugs and relay with a test light and meter but did not pull them out i could try that. And as far as timing once it fires it sounds and idles great and drives down the road fine. Thanks for the input guys!

fordf350man

Full Access Member
Reaction score
this just happened to me a few months ago, i thought it was a fuel problem but it like you i checked everything, i tried batteries and glow plugs, what i did was turn the pump up one flat and since i have not had a problem starting it, i have no idea why, but i can let my truck sit for two weeks and it will fire right up every time

needlenose

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just had this problem. It would crank for 5-6 seconds before finally lighting. My fuel system was fine and all the glowplugs were working, so I started looking at batteries. I even took a video of a coldstart to post here and get advice on whether or not the starter was slow.

Last weekend I removed all batteries cables, scrubbed and cleaned everything and retightened all connections. Starts on the 3rd or 4th rev now, hot or cold, everytime. My cables and connections did look bad at all.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Many times the battery connection look fine. But its the black corrosion that makes for the bad connection. If you crank the engine longer than you feel is right. Just feel all the battery connections for heat. Find the warm or hot one and you have the bad connection. Resistance to current flow makes heat. Sometimes plenty of heat.

greenthunder7.3

Reaction score
well I think the culprit in this case was bad fuel. I was double checking everything and needed some fuel a day after adding new diesel it has been starting fine.

jlwoods99

Reaction score
After I added the electric lift pump mine fires faster than ever, even if its been sitting for a long while.

jim

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7