7.3 idi Hard Starting

GusZiegler

Reaction score
Hello,

My 7.3 idi sat for about a year while i was off for school. When I came back i replaced the injectors, injection pump, and upgraded to the transicold carrier electric fuel pump. I've driven it a couple times since and there has been some white smoke upon startup and it's getting progressively harder to start. The last time i got it started I had to use a shot of brakekleen in the intake (all i had with and i had to get the truck home, believe me I won't be doing this again). This last attempt to start it also blew the solenoid and I had to jump it to start the truck. Today i replace the solenoid and threw on a new fuel filter thinking that could be causing my starting issues (it sounds like its not getting enough fuel). I blew the new solenoid completely (can't even jump it) trying to start it. Before the solenoid blew it started making clicking noises (like the ones after the glowplugs are done cycling). Im not sure why the solenoids keep blowing but I do have some idea on the starting. The new fuel pump never is full of fuel, sometimes the basin is like 90% full but most of the time there its only half filled. Is there a way to pruge this or is this normal?? the truck runs fine when started even if its half full so i though it was a non issue. Another theory i have is that the injection pump isn't popping the injectors but im not sure how to test this. I should also mention I got the pump for free (rebuilt) from a friend that owns a fleet of busses. Is there a difference in the idi's used commercially?? Thanks in advance.

-Gus

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Exactly my thoughts about the starter is failing. Too bad you do not have a cable clamp amp gauge. If you did you just clamp it on the starter cable and watch what the amp draw is. If you burned up 2 solenoids already I bet the amps are around 400 plus. I think 250 is the normal draw but someone may chime in here with better information. BTW what quality solenoids are you purchasing? They may look like the oem ones but internally they are not. Mel showed a chinese import that welded itself together at a rally one time. His factory one failed so he found what looked like another factory solenoid and installed it... Short time later it too failed so being the guy he is.. He opened it to have a look see. Very low quality contacts and very thin too.

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
X3 on starter being bad, make sure when you start it you crank for no more than 15 seconds then allow to cool for a few minutes, will save your starter in the future, depending on what commercial business the engines where used for they may be governed but that's the only difference.