7.3 IDI glow plug harness

Selahdoor

How can I help you, or make you laugh, today?
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's what I thought as well. Just wanted to make sure. :D

Selahdoor

Supporting Member
Reaction score
The more I deal with other connectors, the more I like the idea of using these, along with 4mm silicone hose, to hold them on with.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
The more I deal with other connectors, the more I like the idea of using these, along with 4mm silicone hose, to hold them on with.
It sounds like it's the best way to go. Most of the others seem to have trouble keeping a connection for whatever reason.

lakesurfer

Reaction score
Yes: Bullet connectors. Here are some part numbers and sources:

Molex 19164-0054, Perma-Seal™ Heat Shrink & Crimp Bullet Terminal, Female, .156", Blue, 16-14 Ga, (SBRB-8156N) (10 MIN)
aka Molex # 0191640054

McMaster:
16-14 ; 0.156" ; Blue ; Plastic Blend ;Tin-Plated Brass ; 220° ; 600V ; 195° ; Adhesive ; UL Recognized, CSA Certified ; 10 per pack ; McMaster # 7835K56

I love that silicone hose idea and will be implementing it.

Selahdoor

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok, I have the wire. I have the bullet connectors. I have the shrink tube. (Tons of extra). I have the silicone tubing. I have the cool looking button that lights up only when you push it and it is actually working. I even have the 600 amp solenoid. (And I have 8 beru GPs ordered and on the way, just in case.)

I will start on building my own harness soon.

A quick question though... That silicone tube seems awfully small for this purpose. I may find that it fits well. I don't know. Question is, what can I use as a lube to help get it on there... That will eventually go away on it's own? Don't want to use silicone grease...

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
My first thought was dielectric grease, but that won't go away on it's own. Have you thought about saliva? It's free and it works for some things.

Selahdoor

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dielectric was my first thought. Yup, it won't go away, and would defeat the purpose of the silicone tubing.

Spit was my next thought, but that would take an awful lot of spitting. LOL

I HAVE already discovered that once the silicone tubing is forced onto the glow plug, good luck getting it back off without cutting it!!!

Once I have this thing underway, I will figure out the best length for the hose to be, and the best method for getting it onto the connector and GP. I'll be posting all that in my build thread.

Philip1

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok, I have the wire. I have the bullet connectors. I have the shrink tube. (Tons of extra). I have the silicone tubing. I have the cool looking button that lights up only when you push it and it is actually working. I even have the 600 amp solenoid. (And I have 8 beru GPs ordered and on the way, just in case.)

I will start on building my own harness soon.

A quick question though... That silicone tube seems awfully small for this purpose. I may find that it fits well. I don't know. Question is, what can I use as a lube to help get it on there... That will eventually go away on it's own? Don't want to use silicone grease...
The silicone hose is very stretchy which is what holds the connector to the glowplug when I built my harness that way I used electrical lubricant which made the install easier but didn't hold the plug as well. I'd imagine spit or anything that would evaporate would work better. I'd show pictures but the harness was destroyed when my truck caught fire (unrelated to the harness)

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk