7.3 idi died and wont fire back up

PorterS

Reaction score
Hey I am new to the thread. My truck a 93 Ford IDI quit on me while we were trying to move it to a different spot and it wont fire back up it just cranks. It fired right up like normal ran for about 15 seconds then just stopped. Could it be air in the lines or something else

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum. How long had it been sitting before you "fired it up" to move it. What level are the fuel tanks at. If the fuel level is near the 1/4 tank level you probably have broken off suction heads in the tanks. when they break off the last 1/4 tank of fuel can't be sucked out so you "run out of gas" so to speak. Air in the lines can be a reason for shutting down like you mentioned too but. you need to check the fuel filter bleeder valve for air. Thats the fitting on the top engine side of the fuel filter head. It looks just like any tire inflation valve. Its called a schrader valve.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Thanks for the response. With plenty of fuel in the tanks best idea is to press the fuel bleeder valve on the filter head when cranking the engine. See if air or fuel comes out.

PorterS

Reaction score
That is a possibility it is actually 2 year old diesel that was put in in about August. It does have heet iso in it but I dont know how much of an effect that would have. And it has been damn cold out here. Thanks;)

hadley000

Reaction score
I use Howes most of the time, or Stanadyne Performance Formula if I have it. You'll know right away if you're gelled up when you remove the filter. You'll be able to see a cloudy wax at the bottom. Dump out the diesel and fill it with an antigel and let it sit for a few hours, give the tank a heavy dose too. See if that gets the truck running, it did with mine.

hadley000

Reaction score
So would I need to get the Howes to ungel it or do you think I could just use a space heater to warm the fuel
A space heater would certainly work but you'd still have to add some antigel to keep it from gelling up again.

Mammoth73

Reaction score
I've got the exact same problem but mine turned out to be a leaky o ring I missed when I did the injector return lines. Starts perfect runs a few seconds then dies. If you have someone bleeding the Schrader valve while cranking it'll fire up if it is air in your lines.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bigal093