7.3 hard hot start HELP!

prepowerstroke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hey guys my1989 7.3 idi will start right up when its cold but take a good bit of cranking to get it started again when hot, lots of white smoke out the exhaust when cranking then black smoke when it starts then clears up

DesertBen44

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Smoke out the exhaust means too much fuel I believe; not sure if that info helps. Hopefully someone more knowledgeable will chime in.

diezelcrazee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I sounds like the symptoms of an injection pump that is getting tired. Next time you need to start it hot, pour a cup or 2 of roomtemp water (not cold water!) on the pump head (end with all the lines) and see if it starts better. The idea is that hot metal expands, cool metal shrinks, and if the internal wear is getting bad enough, when it's hot it is expanded to the point that there is to much internal clearance. If so a rebuild isn't far ahead.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When starting a cold engine the cold advance solenoid is energized so your IP timing is advanced about three (3) degrees, starting a hot engine the cold advance is deenergized. Blowing white smoke is unburnt fuel, could be your timing is slightly retarded, try advanceing the timing the thickness of a dime and see if that helps. If you have some way to check the timing with the proper equipment do so. Set a NA IDI at 8.5 to 9 degrees BTDC, turbo at 9 to 10.5. If that don't do it try the water method. If that does it your IP is worn out.

prepowerstroke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well i think im goin to advance the timing some and turn the fuel up about one flat... more fuel should help it burn and the timing should wake the old girl up

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Turning up the fuel will not help it start. Before you adjust the timing make a center punch mark in the injection pump to gear tower mateing line. Do it right in the center. Then as you move the pump the circle will become two half circles. That way you now how far you moved and can easily return it to where you started...

prepowerstroke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hey i was wondering... i think my ip is wore out and im thinking that if i turn the fuel up some(like a flat) it should help it start when its warm because it should alow the pump to build more pressure so it should open the injectors faster and make it start...right?

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Nope... That wont help at all... What may help a well worn pump make pressure is to increase the viscosity of the fuel. Add some trans fluid or motor oil thats clean to the fuel. Maybe try 1 quart. If that wont help try adding 2 quarts. If that does not help its a new pump time. Please read the Hall of Shame before spending any money of an inexpensive ebay pump. A couple of our members here offer pumps that are far better than any listed on ebay. That would be Russ who goes by typ4 oe Mel who goes by Agnem...

Black dawg

Reaction score
hey guys my1989 7.3 idi will start right up when its cold but take a good bit of cranking to get it started again when hot, lots of white smoke out the exhaust when cranking then black smoke when it starts then clears up

kind of late to this one, but if it is blowing lots of white smoke while cranking, it is injecting fuel and this is not a case of the classic hot start issues.