7.3 does everything but fire

DieselCowboy

Reaction score
I've got a 7.3 N/A sitting in a frame. Just trying to get it started to make sure all is well before I worry about anything else. It's cranking pretty well, just not firing. The IP is clicking on and I'm getting fuel out of the return line, a good bit of it actually. The only result I got so far is if I hit it with a little ether (bypassed glow plugs; hotwire from IP to battery) I'll get some white smoke and I can smell the ether burning from the exhaust, but it wont even act like it wants to fire. Just crank over. It almost fired once last night, but other than that, nothing.

Any suggestions or ideas?:dunno

Thanks.

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
Have you cracked open the injector lines to verify fuel delivery to the injectors?
Doesn't sound like fuel is getting to them yet.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Have you loosened all the lines at the injectors and bled out the air. If not do so but make sure when cranking you hold the injection pump throttle wide open. Otherwise its not pushing much fuel to the injectors at idle settings.

DieselCowboy

Reaction score
I got it figured out. I actually did that before I tried to actually start it. I had a bad connection somewhere along the line. After I fixed that with a little puff of ether it fired right up. Loud as hell! And it smokes as much as every kid with a Cummins wants theirs to smoke! My problem now is that it wont stay running. I know it needs a fuel filter and I'm hoping that's the problem. Before I start running the truck, I'd like to change the glow plugs and junk. Is there any way to pull out the injectors and clean them up? I bought the motor last summer and it sat outside since then and it was sitting for a couple months prior, I just want to go over it as much as I can to eliminate problems down the road. I noticed it has "BB" injectors, as well. Not sure what it means but I see that a bunch of you guys run them so I'm guessing that's good. Since I'm putting a cab from a gasser on it, do I have anything to worry about with that?

gatorman21218

Reaction score
the cab doesnt matter. the only thing is the dash where it says unleaded only. It only takes one ******* to fill her up with gas to do some major damage.

dsltech83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Gasser core support is different if you are swapping the whole cab and not just the doghouse...

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Unless your willing to pull the injectors, pop test them, and replace the bad ones, there is no real point in taking them out. Your best bet is to run heavy doses of Howes Diesel Treat to clean up the IP and injector internals.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Members online