6V71?

Freight_Train

Traitor to the brotherhood
Reaction score
Hmmmm,I wonder how hard it would be to fit a 6V71 under the hood of a 92-97 F350........Not.....That......I.......would consider........it......cookoo :eek: :rolleyes: :angel:

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Height about kills it at roughly 10 inches higher than a B series Cummins, 3126 CAT or C7 CAT, prolly need a big hood scoop to clear the blower, length and width are about the same. 6V-53 would be a good fit....a little room left over for twin turbos too;Sweet .

I've seen a few pics around the net of 4-53 Detroits stuffed into pickups and they fit nice.

Just get bigger fuel tanks to feed that 2 stroke Screamin' Jimmy.:eek:

P.S.......Don't forget to carry a 55 gallon drum of oil, some oil dry and a bale of rags LOL

Freight_Train

Reaction score
Ehhh,Hood scoop wouldn't be a problem....I mean.....really.It is that much taller.....Uhhhhh.....

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
And 900 lbs heavier than an IDI. 500 lbs more than the Cummins or CAT.

Blower and associated hardware is what makes it tall on the "V" engines, the blowers on the inline engines are on the side of the engine.

I've been looking into swaps myself and IIRC height on the the B series Cummins is 39" and the 3126 and C7 CAT engines are 40"

Freight_Train

Reaction score
well,if the only thing to tall is the blower then that is an easy fix.Sawsall and buzzard Catcher.

swampdigger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's good someone shares the same dream with me

Attachments

• DetroitInfo1.jpg
    DetroitInfo1.jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 72

DeepRoots

Tug Engineer
Reaction score
If I was going to go through the trouble making room for, and dealing with the weight issue of a 6-71. I'd just put a 6v92 in instead.

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If I was going to go through the trouble making room for, and dealing with the weight issue of a 6-71. I'd just put a 6v92 in instead.

Go that far, ya might as well go for it and drop in a Silver 92 and a 13 speed with the front box flipped to make it a double overdrive ;Sweet

IHWillys

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Check out 'DetroitDiesel' group on yahoo groups. There's some good Detroit swap facts/opinions in the archives, photos section and ongoing discussion at times.

Ken

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
If you go and put a jimmy under the hood, what are you going to mount in the bed to push it over a hill :rotflmao :rotflmao :rotflmao :angel:

---------Robert

Freight_Train

Reaction score
Pratt and Whitney,RLDSL!Actually,My fever has broken and have come to my senses.Back to 7.3L turbo spec in my fords BUT still wanna build a Bob Deuce with a screaming Jimmy.But something more sensable.Like a 6-71T.The straight six Turbo Supercharged engine.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How about getting the Enterprise back to a rally instead. Now THAT is a goal worth achieving. ;Really

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Members online