6 bottles of Diesel Kleen...

madpogue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Every ounce of logic in my body says the only part that changed is the clutch, so thats where the problem lies.
Makes sense on the surface, but don't forget the potential of the _mask_ effect. The old dual-mass flywheel may have been masking a long-standing problem, such as a shot input shaft bearing, or an internal problem. May have just been sorta glossing it over. The single-mass is less "forgiving", so it may just be doing a better job of making some latent tranny problem more evident.

Kinda lost track in the long thread - did you ever try overfilling the trans?

reklund

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Makes sense on the surface, but don't forget the potential of the _mask_ effect. The old dual-mass flywheel may have been masking a long-standing problem, such as a shot input shaft bearing, or an internal problem. May have just been sorta glossing it over. The single-mass is less "forgiving", so it may just be doing a better job of making some latent tranny problem more evident.

Kinda lost track in the long thread - did you ever try overfilling the trans?

Yes, I put an extra half-quart in the trans before I ever started it up after the clutch install.

Thanks for your input too...I was kind of thinking the same thing. Although this truck has lived an easy life, and only has 120k on it. Bought it at 70k from a little old man, and it was babied, although it's never liked downshifting into 2nd gear...

reklund

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow. that sounds about like mine. Makes me wonder if I'm chasing a problem I can't make go away...

jrad235

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would only be concerned if it didn't sound normal with the clutch in. When cold, my truck sounds perfectly normal due to the thicker trans oil.

With my other clutch disc(Perfection garbage) that I just took out, and ATF in it, it had a rolling chatter that was very different from the current sound. I think I prefer this sound. I think the quality of the disc as well as the fluid makes a big difference in sound. That being said, if THIS disc (LUK Gold) gives me any grief, I will seriously consider going back to a DMF setup. I kept my old flywheel, just need to get it checked out by someone that knows them.

reklund

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can anyone else take a look at these vids and offer some feedback? Just trying to determine what is "normal"

Thanks!

Ryan

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Got the trans and clutch removed today. Trans fluid came out clean, with no signs of glitter in it. Clutch looks fine, no signs of "camming" from an off center flywheel. Trans input shaft has lots of play, but pilot bearing looks ok. I'll pull the PTO covers tomorrow, but it looks like a trans rebuild or replacement is in my future. Anyone here rebuilt a zf5 trans? Link to an article or write up?

Ryan

ryan-
i have a semi-reitred guy who used to work at the local heavy truck parts rebuild shop. he's been doing it for 30 years and I will throw anything that has gears at his direction.
I spoke to him about your Zf's issues, his question when you mentioned "play" on the input, was there any oil seepage or leakage at the input area. it's kinda hard to see since the quill for the TOB is also shielding the seal. irregardless, there should be very little play if any at all.
outside of the Sulaco's ZF, everybody who has driven my trucks has commented on how "easy" it was to shift the ZF's as long as you didn't try to speed shift it. he's touched them all. the Sulaco has firewall issues, so the fault of the balky shifting is not on him.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can anyone else take a look at these vids and offer some feedback? Just trying to determine what is "normal"

Thanks!

Ryan

my suggestion is either bring the trans up here and let my guy take a look inside or put it back in and run 30wt in it and see how it does. just for your own reference ATF is roughly 10wt.

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
I run ATF in mine, it's down right scary to listen to at idle when cold or hot...Put it on hight idle and the noise is gone. Even on high idle cold it will rattle for a couple minutes and then just stop on it's own. I tried 30WT in my 1991, I ended up switching back and that truck had a SMF too....Never made a sound, hot or cold, high idle or not. Just the nature of the beast, some rattle - some don't.

reklund

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ryan-
i have a semi-reitred guy who used to work at the local heavy truck parts rebuild shop. he's been doing it for 30 years and I will throw anything that has gears at his direction.
I spoke to him about your Zf's issues, his question when you mentioned "play" on the input, was there any oil seepage or leakage at the input area. it's kinda hard to see since the quill for the TOB is also shielding the seal. irregardless, there should be very little play if any at all.
outside of the Sulaco's ZF, everybody who has driven my trucks has commented on how "easy" it was to shift the ZF's as long as you didn't try to speed shift it. he's touched them all. the Sulaco has firewall issues, so the fault of the balky shifting is not on him.

No oil seepage from the input at all. What's your guy charge for a overhaul? I understand some rattle and some don't. I just can't believe some people live with the noise. I'm ready to trade my smf for a used DMF just to get back to where I was 2 weeks ago...

Ryan

reklund

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Swapped out my flywheel today for an actual Sachs flywheel. It looks WAAAAAYYYYYY different than the one they gave me initially, AND it was $35 cheaper. It actually looks machined and balanced on the backside, and has drill marks where someone attempted to balance it. Now to make a decision on the transmission...

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Well your in a sticky wicked place now... I would think because the trans is out you at least open it up and have a look at the imput shaft bearing. Might be the only thing wrong internally too or it could be a bag of hammers too...

reklund

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm gonna put it back together and run it and see what I get. My travel schedule is so hectic that if I open that trans, it'll be months before I get it back together. If it's still noisy, I'll order a reman and swap them out. Time just doesn't allow for anything else at this point.

jrad235

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, I'll be trading out my 50w for ATF this weekend. It just isn't warm enough for that yet. I can't hardly shift into 3rd in the mornings. So my current recommendation is DON'T use 50w unless it's over 50 Degrees out if your trans has worn syncros. I'll probably trade it back in though a month or so from now. definitely for the trip down there. Good luck. If you are thinking about buying a reman trans though, I would probably spend the money on a new Dual mass wheel. Does yours only make noise at idle?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online

No members online now.