6 bottles of Diesel Kleen...

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
If you members in Vegas put together a mini meet I'll bet some of the so cal members will jump over there too. Just need to plan for it..:sly

blue67chero

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Any of you guys interested in running some wmo fuel that are around Vegas pm me and I'll give you the details also looking for used oil, hydraulic oil and Trans fluid. Let me know if you have a surplus...

reklund

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got the trans and clutch removed today. Trans fluid came out clean, with no signs of glitter in it. Clutch looks fine, no signs of "camming" from an off center flywheel. Trans input shaft has lots of play, but pilot bearing looks ok. I'll pull the PTO covers tomorrow, but it looks like a trans rebuild or replacement is in my future. Anyone here rebuilt a zf5 trans? Link to an article or write up?

Las Vegas meet and greet needs to happen. Just let me get my old truck together first. Won't be any fun showing up in my company truck instead of my old idi.

Ryan

jrad235

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Best of luck to you in getting squared away. You have until the beginning of June, which is when I'll be rolling through!

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Wow... Glad you got it out. These are not a tuff trans to work on but all the parts come out the back end. There are some springs and things that will pop out as it comes apart so be careful. Towcat tells of bearings running al over the shop floor. I think he posted using a hose clamp to hold things under spring pressure when it goes back together. Thats about all I know of working on these 5 speeds. I have been in plenty of Ford and chevy three speeds. They are simple for me to repair...

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score

MedicMoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks like the meetup will be in June?!? It'll be a little warm then. I have a half an acre( 10 truck could park in my front yard) and a really nice BBQ. just saying

reklund

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'll have my truck together before June MedicMoe. I'd much rather get together before it's over 100º! If you're offering your place and BBQ, I'll fill up a cooler with beer and we can make this happen!

I got a new clutch/flywheel setup ordered yesterday, even though the one I removed didn't look terrible. I'm shopping around now for a trans overhaul-vs-reman unit install. It seems most places won't touch my trans since I've already removed it. They will only sell me a reman setup. I'm tempted to build it my self, but I just don't have the time or the big pullers. All my stuff is Toyota sized- which is not quite big enough to work on a ZF. I can build a Toyota R series or W series trans in my sleep, as well as transfer cases, but haven't been inside a ZF trans before. Also I'm finally at a point in my life and career that its easier to come up with the money to buy a reman than it is to come up with the time to do it myself. Never thought I'd be able to say that...

Working on these old trucks is incredibly frustrating. Every ounce of logic in my body says the only part that changed is the clutch, so thats where the problem lies. I just can't get past the noises coming out of the trans, and will likely proceed with replacement regardless. I get paid to fix problems like this (I'm a field technical rep for Toyota Motor Sales, and I'm supposed to be the one that the dealer calls when they're out of resources), but sometimes you gotta make the call between cost effectiveness versus 100% diagnosis. I'm basically at the point where its easier and cheaper to put a reman unit in than it is to chase the problem down and repair it. Rebuilding mine could easily cost more than a reman unit from what I'm looking at...

Any others have experience with this sort of crap? There's NO WAY the noise I heard was normal, and should be lived with after a SMF swap. Links to video of trucks with SMF swap and the noise associated? Anyone think I should just put in the new clutch and stick the trans back in to see what happens?

I understand diagnosis over the internet is nearly impossible. But the experience of others can sometimes lead us to a solution, so I'm all ears...

Thanks!

Ryan

jrad235

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did you ever take a video of the noise? Also, the first week of June is what it looks like for me getting down there. Hopefully it will only be around 80?! I'll see if I can't get you a video of the noise my truck makes, but it doesn't make any (odd) noise at speed, only at idle, and I think you said something about yours in 5th?

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Well Depending on the miles that were on the trans could have an impack on the noise. I do understand the thinking about going back to the last thing you replaced as the cause. And I undsestand the want to replace the clutch, pressure plate and trans at the same time. If just the clutch was replaced again and the noise was stil there your digging in for the third time.. Not a fun conclusion any one wants for you. As for replacing the trans compared to opening it up and actually finding the issues... Well I'm for opening the trans. And with your background in transmissions thats the way I would go. I personally have never been inside a ZF so no help from me. We have plenty of members that have been in these. Towcat comes to mind. What I know about the ZF I learned from him. On a scale of 1 to 100 I know a 2 maybe.. Its just for me that eurica feeling when you actually see and repair what the problem is..

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online

No members online now.