6.9 vs. 7.3 nosie differance

dsblack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, I just got finished working on my friends 86 f-250. I noticed his 6,9 NA rattles a lot more than my 7.3 turbo. Is this normal? or is mine timed wrong. He seemed to have a lot of power for a NA 7.3.

thanks
Doug

h2odrx

Anti-O
Reaction score
dsblack said:
Ok, I just got finished working on my friends 86 f-250. I noticed his 6,9 NA rattles a lot more than my 7.3 turbo. Is this normal? or is mine timed wrong. He seemed to have a lot of power for a NA 7.3.

thanks
Doug
I'm cornfussed???
is his a 6.9 or is yours??? :confused:

Mr_Roboto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The only difference in noise will be timing, the 2 engines are essentially the same besides cylinder bore.

A small change in timing can make a tremendous difference in noise level. When I first got my wrecker, the motor rattled so much at speed I thought it had bad bearings and I was afraid to take it over 60 mph. After backing off the timing, I can run it at 75 mph (with 4.11 gears!) with no problems.

Black dawg

Reaction score
timing makes a big diffrence in noise level, but alot of other things can affect the sound of the rattle, if you listen close very few sound the same.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The 3 I've got pretty much sound the same. They are all timed to spec, which is why. The exception now is the Moose Truck which runs a DPS pump, and injectors, so that's a big difference, but before that, they were all the same.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
440wagon