6.9 Turbo question

johnnyb1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just bought a '87 F250 with a 6.9 It's got a Banks Sidewinder,K&N filter,and a straight thru exhaust. My first question is how much horse/torque does this make? I can't find a dyno sheet anywhere. I'm not looking in the right place. I've never owned a 6.9 or IDI turbo. Is this a dependable set-up? I don't run it hard but it seems like a very strong motor. Wish it had a 5 spd. but the C6 seems very tight. Thanks for any info.

punkmechanic

diesel tech
Reaction score
first off congrats on getting another idi. They are justa bout bullet proof. A dyno sheet is about worthless as it really depends on motor to motor. If the fuel system, pump, injectors, and motor are fresh it will be pretty peppy and strong, as stuff wears out the power drops accordingly. A non wastegated will be a little slower off the line but build more boost in the higher rpms and therefore (theoretically) be better for towing and heavy loads. Its a preference thing. The c6 is a strong trans, but the lack of overdrive hurts fuel mileage.

short and sweet?

dependable, should be if it was maintained and continues to be.

hp/torque? depends on turbo, engine, and fuel system condition.

If it feels good and doesnt start hard, roll smoke, or sound like a power puke then its probably in good shape.

Punk

papastruck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think Banks, Hypermax and ATS all claim up to 50% increase in power. So assuming what Punk said applies and all is in good shape, you should be looking at 250-ish at the flywheel. The C6 will suck a chunk of that out, but as you noted, it's still fine. The one thing I do like about the slushbox is it keeps things spooled up tight when accelerating, though my first gen takes longer to spool up than your wastegated unit.

johnnyb1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was gonna turn up the fuel pressure a little but after driving a little bit I'm gonna leave it alone. Once it spools up it comes to life. The PO says the motor only has 80k on it. The C6 shifts like it has a kit in it. I think I better leave it alone. LOL!

jonathan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
turning up the fuel presure will advance the timing and might mess up your injection pump. i think your are thinking of the smoke screw btw thats not the real name for it i cant that think up the real name. if you you mess with it get a pryo meter first. welcome to ob

flareside_thun

Reviving The General Tao
Reaction score
Yup, Jonothan is talking about the fuel screw.....alot of guys here run turbos and have theirs all the way turned up. But, also like he said, you want to make sure you get a pyro gauge first. More fuel equals more heat....more heat can equal catastrophic failure. Welcome to the brotherhood, sounds like you've got a good truck in your possession.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have my fuel screw set about exactly half way between stock and maxed. It seems fine there, pyro stays under 1000, it might be different if I worked the truck like it was designed to be worked. The main thing is you need to drive by the pyro especially if you want to turn that thing up anymore. I can't imagine someone would have added the Banks kit and at least maintained the C6 in tip top shape or possibly even added a shift kit and left the fuel in the stock position so I think it's probably already turned up some, how much is anyone's guess. The C6 is very reliable but if you want to get better fuel economy an auxillary transmission or a ZF5 swap is probably in your future. My truck got about the same with C6 versus 4 speed. The manual is a touch better, especially on the highway but not worth the work unless you just want a manual or you're going to go for the 5 speed or the 4 speed+ auxillary.

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Like stated, dyno results have a lot of variables, but there is quite a bit of IDI dyno information in these links. Both of which are stickies at the top of the IDI forum here.

CLICK HERE

AND>>>> HERE

Hope that helps.

Heath

johnnyb1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bet when the Banks was added the pump was set accordingly. I would think so anyway. I don't need extra power,it's a daily driver. It does have a boost gauge but no pyro. That was a must when I would "super-tune" an old Cummins or Cat. This one runs 2-3 lbs. unless I get into it a little,then it goes to 5-7 lbs. WOW! it's talking then!! LOL!! I thought my old 7.3 ran strong but that turbo really makes a difference.