6.9 Superduty

madpogue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
^^^^ True, technically, if you used an aftermarket trans controller, you should be able to wire the tach directly to the tach sensor; after all, that's how the manual trucks are wired. And yeah, the GP controller reference made me :dunno ; never heard of that tied to the TCM. Again, it should be wired the same for a manual or auto truck.

Mikey89014

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh maybe , im not sure . this tcm was only $28 compared to the 600 i spent on the pcs. I will just wire it up and see what happens. Ido know i need the tach and vss for the tcm to work,and the barometric sensor tomake it work properly. Thanks

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score
I was thinking that too but the f4 tcm is supposed to be programmed the best . plus i can use the idi tach, factory cruise, glow plug controller , etc

Nothing beats a stand alone controller. You need the tach anyways. Cruise can be wired in. Glow plugs are on their own controller. The TCM controls the tranny only. Nothing else.

Mikey89014

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nothing beats a stand alone controller. You need the tach anyways. Cruise can be wired in. Glow plugs are on their own controller. The TCM controls the tranny only. Nothing else.

This controller is only programmed by an external pc, no controls on exterior of unit. Anyone familiar with this unit?

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score
You will need a lap top and a program from PCS. If you bought it new it should have came with a disk. Used, contact PCS for the program.

The program will get you the base to work from.

Mikey89014

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I got the 5.4 out of the engine bay. I trial fitted the American Eagle radiator and it fits with very little modification along with the shroud. I will have to add pegs to the bottom of the radiator. The stock Radiator has these pegs that plug into the rubber bushings on the frame
You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

Mikey89014

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I removed the fuel tank and emptied all the old gas out of it. I think i will just try to use the stock electric fuel pump and try to regulate it down to 4 psi somehow. It has the return line style system, so it shouldn't be too hard.

I also noticed on the 7.3 Powerstroke that the motor mounts are in a different position on the block. I will have to fabricate something there. Also the diesel rear driveshaft is shorter by an inch and quarter. I have to either modify mine or buy a diesel driveshaft. The powerstroke sits roughly an inch and a quarter more to the rear than the gas engine. Anyways, if i try to use the gas driveshaft, the IDI oil filter looks it will hit the crossmember.

Mikey89014

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I installed it in the compartment . i noticed the diesel superduties have a 1 inch shorter rear driveshaft and probably opposite for the front . i will need this for the IDI oil filter to clear the crossmember. Do you all think that modifying the crossmember or driveshafts would be best for this swap?

junk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would probably modify the shafts. Both shafts should have a slip joint in them. By chance is there enough slip joint to take up the 1" of difference your seeing? Around here getting them cut down is cheap and getting them lengthened gets expensive.

Now I'm assuming you meant modifying the front crossmember under the engine. Now if your talking transmission crossmember I'd modify that thing before messing with my driveshafts.

Mikey89014

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would probably modify the shafts. Both shafts should have a slip joint in them. By chance is there enough slip joint to take up the 1" of difference your seeing? Around here getting them cut down is cheap and getting them lengthened gets expensive.

Now I'm assuming you meant modifying the front crossmember under the engine. Now if your talking transmission crossmember I'd modify that thing before messing with my driveshafts.

Yes , engine crossmember. I was going toward shafts as well . There is a slip joint , but have not tried that yet. Im thinking the joint will bind on a bump or load though.

Mikey89014

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Here is the latest . not started yet

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member