6.9 precup vs 7.3 precup.

JosieGallows

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I recently ordered 8 new 7.3 cups and 8 new 6.9 cups (that's right, brand new) and I'm wondering, which will make the engine have more power, and which will make the engine louder? the 7.3 or 6.9 precup? these are going into 7.3 heads.

rhkcommander

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I honestly don't know for sure, some of this is SWAG and some is half-remembering details but...

I think the 7.3 had lower compression thanks to the precup volume being higher, and this was done for emissions? Easy test is to see how much water it takes to fill a 7.3 vs 6.9 cup. The 6.9 should hold less water if I am right in remembering.

and I am fairly sure higher compression makes more noise.

PwrSmoke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can't speak to the 6.9 or 7.3L but what rhk said above was generally true withthe 6.2L GM I built up years ago. I installed turbo heads onto an NA engine and the combustion chamber volume was increased. I actually measured it but it was obvious by comparing the prechambers. I'm not going digging for that old data but IIRC it was about a half a ratio (i.e. 20.5 to 20:1) on the GM. The only difference I noticed is that the engine developed a little more boost at the same pump and turbo settings (I had done the pump and turbo prior to the head work), I suppose due to the increased combustion chamber volume. I was warned that a ratio drop might make cold starting harder but there was no change I could notice with a half-ratio drop (it was equally poor either way... my 6.2 was an appallingly bad cold starter). The extra boost (about 2 psi) did not deliver any noticeable power either. I never towed with that rig (it was a diesel Blazer) but I think it delivered slightly lower EGTs at the existing pump setting. Again, I cannot relate actual 6.9/7.3L info, just a some generalities from a similar engine. If it were me, I'd use the 7.3L cups. Were the 7.3L IDI turbo cups any different? Don't think so.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
You probably will not see or feel any hp difference between the 6.9 or 7.3 cups. A titration column is needed to CC the cups for volume. Ebay has them cheap in plastic.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So I recently ordered 8 new 7.3 cups and 8 new 6.9 cups (that's right, brand new) and I'm wondering, which will make the engine have more power, and which will make the engine louder? the 7.3 or 6.9 precup? these are going into 7.3 heads.

Any difference in power would not be enough to tell from driving, on an engine dyno there may be a couple of HP difference but again insignificant.

Same for sound.

Just install the ones for your engine and be golden.

Kevin 007

Full-floater
Reaction score
I recall reading somewhere that the 6.9 pre-cups make for an easier starting engine. That has always stuck with me as it seems that all the 6.9's I have driven start easier in the cold then 7.3's Sure, they were all different engines and some may have had more wear but nevertheless, 6.9's have always been better starters for me.

Also, it seems to me that 6.9's smoke a bit more then the 7.3's

queen of spades

Reaction score

Where did you buy your 6.9 precups from? Could you please post the dealer/vendor name/number and part number for 6.9 pre cup?

JosieGallows

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Where did you buy your 6.9 precups from? Could you please post the dealer/vendor name/number and part number for 6.9 pre cup?

I decided to use the 7.3 cups. I don't need the 6.9 cups anymore. I bought the last ones from the site.

I'm selling mine for $15 a piece brand new. You can buy all 8 for $100 if you like. I need to get rid of them ASAP.

You must be registered for see images attach

queen of spades

Reaction score
I decided to use the 7.3 cups. I don't need the 6.9 cups anymore. I bought the last ones from the site.

I'm selling mine for $15 a piece brand new. You can buy all 8 for $100 if you like. I need to get rid of them ASAP.

You must be registered for see images attach

I'm interested in buying these from you. Sending you a PM with my contact info.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JFMac

Members online