6.9 or 7.3 engine

paulw

paulw
Reaction score
hi guys im wondering if you was to buy a used engine what would you go with i bought a 88 ford f 250 with the 7.3 in it but.the guy took the engine apart and said the heads are cracked.and in the process didnt cover the pistons up or put any thing to keep the engine from rusting.iv forund some engines around me from 500-1000 dollars im not sure what i should get and what to look for most of the engines.i cannot hear run any ideas thanks.

Devon Harley

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would go with 7.3 that's just me though i don't think it will make a difference tho both are great the 7.3 is hard enough finding weird lil things bt 6.9 idk don't have one I do know that they can be really good just depends what you get a good deal on there's a 6.9 by me for sale with rebuild papers that match the block for 1,200 30,000 miles it's built a year ago so idk look at the gaskets ones that's been all cleaned up and used I would stay away from due to they have to be hiding somthing

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
I have a 6.9 i will sell you for 300, it has had a complete gasket set put in it all gaskets and seals it shouldnt leak a drop, i will even deliver if you pay me the fuel

I have a 7.3idi turbo motor but dont have the turbo kit but i dont know if it runs, i was told it did but idk,

I know the 6.9 runs and runs well cause i pulled it from my truck, price is the same on both motors

Kevin 007

Full-floater
Reaction score
i would always prefer a 6.9 over a 7.3. There are many threads on the topic and if you "search" for them, you will see many heated discussions. Quite interesting.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Neither engine is a standout over the other. The 7.3 usually is never bored but it is sleeved. This is because of the already too thin cylinder liners. The 6.9 is easily bored but has only a 7/16 head bolt where the 7.3 has a true 1/2 inch head bolt. Now we can install a set of ARP studs in the heads to make up the differance. Mahle is the oem maker of both engine pistons but you have more choices in the 7.3. Only custom turbo pistons are made for the 6.9 engine. Mostly everything internally to both engines will swap between the 6.9 and 7.3. Even the part numbers are the same. The stock hp differance is only around 10 hp from the 6.9 to the 7.3. A turbo wakes up these engines.

paulw

paulw
Reaction score
thanks for the replys im trying to get the best engine for the money and i dont know these sellers that i have found local i wish i could hear the engines run but i cant i found an engine out of a van not sure.if i should go that route.

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
thanks for the replys im trying to get the best engine for the money and i dont know these sellers that i have found local i wish i could hear the engines run but i cant i found an engine out of a van not sure.if i should go that route.

I have an engine that DOES run 6.9 runs well has all new gaskets and seals i will take 300OBO i will even deliver for the fuel cost for me to bring it to ohio and for me to get back home 300 dollars of fuel is about what it would take for me to drive my truck that far if i done the calculations right

Exekiel69

Reaction score
I would NOT buy an engine that I cannot hear running for more than scrap/core value.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
The van engine will not bolt right into your truck. The oil cooler will need to be changed and the drivers side exhaust manifold needs to be changed too. The fuel filter should be changed too because you have a truck. The injection pump and the hard lines can stay even thought the number one and four are differant from the vans to trucks.

rhkcommander

Full Access Member
Reaction score
7.3 is more prone to cavitation from thin cylinder walls, and the heads run hotter from blocked off coolant passages from what I've heard. The 1/2" head bolts are nice but a 6.9 studded is durable too. If its gonna stay NA then you don't need to stud a 6.9, but anything bigger than a stock turbo warrants studs at least.