6.9 liter IDI in 1976 ford

Pipeliner_86

IDI up high
Reaction score
I agree, the 4bt would probably be a great motor for that truck and what it's normally used for.

How much of a difference in power are we talking about between the two engines?

I'm not really looking for a stupid powerful motor, but if the motors can have similiar life expectency, a little more oomph would be nice.

I wonder, if I have to fab mounts for everything anyway, if there's anything stopping me from running a John Deere diesel. The ones with the SAE bellhousing.........hmmm......

Which Deere motors have an sae bellhousing? I think we have a spare 466 laying around in the barn.

6xCrew

Newb
Reaction score
I think 105hp and some large amount of TQ is standard for a turbo charged 4bt. I do not expect you to have any sadness over a 4bt in that truck. If your truck is 2wd (and it looks to be) you might find that the cross member under the front of that truck is a whole lot like the one under the IDI truck. The 4bt will be more work than the IDI but worth it in my opinion. I think the cross member needs to be notched a bit for the 4bt. The Twin-I-Beam suspension my get in the way

As for John Deere who knows. I am pretty sure the IDI is an SAE 3 or 2. If you look close at the back of the engine there is about a 1 inch thick adapter on it. The actual engine bolt pattern sure looks SAE to me.

Sorry I tend to ramble and jump around a bit,

Calvin

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Yeah a cummins 4BT will be 105hp, or 130hp and 280ft lbs of torque. You can mod them just like you can mod the 12 valve cummins, same injectors, fuel plates and what not.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger