6.9 fuel route and return questions wvo

Motorhead6.9

Reaction score
Hey new to this forum (hopefully posting in the right spot) trying to convert to veggie and had some questions about how diesel is routed from the diesel tank to the ip and how its returned. So on the stock diesel fuel filter there is a line traveling from the filter to the return line coming off the number 1 injector and I'm wondering what to do with it to prevent cross contamination of fuels. In a diagram for the fuel system it showed fuel flowing from the filter thru the line to the return like an overflow for what the IP didn't need, is this what its really doing?

inside the return lines how does fuel actually get back to the tank is it actually being pumped back to the tank, reason being is the wvo tank is elevated above the engine and im wondering if I set up a return will the unused wvo make it back to the tank?

What is the best way to tap into the fuel system before the IP for the fuel selector solenoid? cutting the metal fuel line, connections/fittings?

Where do i tap into the engine coolant to feed hot coolant to the coolant heated wvo filter and tank pick up?

Any pictures, diagrams, info and advice is greatly appreciated

Cheers

Brad S.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm gonna try to get some pics of what I'm using, but some general stuff, from what I read about wvo.
Tap into your heater hose lines, put in shut off valves in case of major leak on your heated tank.
Using wvo you're probably going to use a third heated tank.
The fuel lines, main & return, are each going to need a three position valve on each line. The pic below I used the one on the right.
You must be registered for see images attach

This is the heated tank I use for wmo fuel. Its kinda hard to see the two coolant lines and the fuel line in the middle.
This was taken when we had snow on the ground.

You must be registered for see images attach

reset2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Where is a good place to buy 3 way valves. I have looked at Golden fuel systems and grease car. Just wondering what you used.
Robert

Brad S.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I went to Oriellys because they were closest and average on price. ($30-$40??? each) I think most parts stores carry the average 3 port valves. The wmo that we run is less corrosive then wvo.
I looked at the stuff from Golden fuel & Greasecar and cost of those valves made me change my mind about running wvo.(and other reasons)
Not trying change any minds from using wvo but the cost of the parts is higher.

smokinpipes

Navistar Nut
Reaction score
Autozone (here in MI) has several to choose from:

Part# Price Description

FSV2K $75.99 6-Way valve with harness, and Double Pole, Double Throw toggle Switch - Limited Lifetime Warranty

FSV1 $49.99 3-Way valve (No Harness, No Switch) - Limited Lifetime Warranty

FSV2 $78.99 6-Way valve (No Harness, No Switch) - Limited Lifetime Warranty

FSV1K $94.99 3-Way valve with harness, and Double Pole, Double Throw toggle Switch - Limited Lifetime Warranty

The plug is, last I checked, was $10.99... for some reason I cannot remember what the plug part number is off the top of my head so I cannot get you a price on it. The employees should be able to look it up for you.

Hope this helps!

smokinpipes

Navistar Nut
Reaction score
OH to answer your question about the fuel line that is running from the fuel filter to the injector, that is simply there as a bypass to aid in small amounts of air to escape, and also to prevent the mechanical pump from dead heading.

If you were to place your WMO / Diesel switch valves before the engine's feeder pump (passenger side lower front part of the engine), and the return valve placed right behind your engine on the return line that is where that steel line turns into rubber and drops down behind the engine.

You will always get some cross contamination, the IP, and fuel lines all will cross... It's just a matter of diminishing it as much as possible. My '85 I had it set up so the only thing I had creating cross contamination was the fuel lines and the IP. I only started on the front tank to warm her up, and then to shut her down (about a mile or so from my house)

It would take me about a month or so to use about 1/2 tank and by then there was enough veg. oil blended with that diesel in my starting tank that I would drive a couple days, and run the tank out, and then just fill her up. Stopping and thinking about it, going from filling my 20 gallon tank twice a week to less than once a month... not a bad compromise.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger

Members online