6.9 & 7.3 IDI Commandment Lists - IDI Do’s and Don’ts

ABNORDY

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm dying reading this. I'm a bit south of Tucson. Summer time, going back and forth, it gets brutal if you have no A/C. First time I drove my old CJ7 (hard top and hard doors, at the time) from Cali to Tucson. I swear PHX was hotter than going through the dunes (summer time mind you). For some reason I kept hearing Christmas music in July... chestnuts roasting on an open fire...
Here in Yuma add a few degrees, AC just pulls to much with the 80 Amp alternator, wing windows is all I have been using to blow more of hells inferno in my face!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Detroit80

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm dying reading this. I'm a bit south of Tucson. Summer time, going back and forth, it gets brutal if you have no A/C. First time I drove my old CJ7 (hard top and hard doors, at the time) from Cali to Tucson. I swear PHX was hotter than going through the dunes (summer time mind you). For some reason I kept hearing Christmas music in July... chestnuts roasting on an open fire...

I spent a summer driving a jet black Camaro Z28, with black leather interior, and glass t-tops...and no AC, here in Phoenix. Wasn't absolutely horrible at freeway speeds, but was pure hell on earth any time I got caught in traffic.

My '59 and '61 Internationals are actually more comfortable in the summer without AC compared to something like my F350 without running the AC, but those vehicles don't have miles of glass in them and air flow through the cab was much nicer than modern vehicles which are designed around having functional AC. Extreme example is something like my '06 Cadillac...opening all 4 windows and even the moon roof is virtually useless, as the aerodynamics are so good on that car that the air still flows around it rather than through it, lol.

Though there are times when I wish my F350 had the windshield that could be cracked open at the bottom like cars and trucks up through the 40s could do....

mexicanjoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you guys complain about the heat, I cant get past 160* engine temp in the middle of summer with the a/c on! Winter is coming and I know im gonna need a block heater, 12 volt window defroster and a 12 volt coffee warmer for the trip to work in town........Plus i have to purchase valve cover gaskets( JOY, OH JOY!)... it seems i do a little seal coating everytime i stop and park ol' LuluBelle somewhere. Good times!

JAKRANCH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@Detroit80 Though there are times when I wish my F350 had the windshield that could be cracked open at the bottom like cars and trucks up through the 40s could do....

Where there's a will(and a welder) there's a way!!

Oldfrogdiving

Reaction score
Im in Florida and I feel your pains, I actually have an A/C in my F250 have never bothered hooking up the belt and testing system, All of my vehicles have wind wings. On my 71 W200 dodge I took the radical step of cutting into the roof a horse trailer vent, the truck runs fantastic but its riddled with cancer although its sealed with corroseal and painted with the most durable paint I could find (Rustoleum hunter green) its no beauty queen just a reliable daily driver, much like my 89 F250.

Speaking of belts I have been collecting for awhile pulleys and brackets, one day im going to make a tensioner for that annoying belt slap between alternator and vac pump, It constantly concerns me and I check it regularly for wear and tension, it seems to be working properly but man that swaying belt makes me nervous.

lsaami

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can ;)

You must be registered for see images attach
funny story about that, it's exactly what my dad had to do when my motorhome was his and the glow plug relay went out in the middle of winter.

ABNORDY

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do:
Purchase a High Quality Starter
Upgrade to an Electric Fuel Pump
Install a 38 Gal Rear Fuel tank
Upgrade to a 3G, 130 Amp alternator
High Quality Clutch is a must
Optima Batteries are awesome, (I utilize the Top Post and side posts for the Cables and Wiring)
Build new Battery Cables
Use Military style Battery clamps

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
funny story about that, it's exactly what my dad had to do when my motorhome was his and the glow plug relay went out in the middle of winter.

A small portable 2000W generator in your truck bed can do the same thing.

stick_witch

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you guys complain about the heat, I cant get past 160* engine temp in the middle of summer with the a/c on!
Hahaha i’m in the same boat, except my truck doesn’t even have AC (AK truck that came that way back in the day). What I do is throw a handicap parking street sign that I found at a junkyard in front of the radiator, it slides perfectly between the rad cross members and the fins and seats on a small ledge at the bottom. Make sure you tie some line to it so you can get it back out. Really helps get my truck up to temp in the mornings and when I’m running it. Highly recommend if you live somewhere cold. I’ve been running it all fall and my truck still struggles to get to temp in the mornings, mostly because my commute is all downhill, but take it back up the hill in the afternoon or down the highway and you’ll get to 195 reeeeal quick! Definitely will get your truck up to temp in the summer, might actually need to punch out a few holes because it will probably get it TOO hot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stu Bailey

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Besides the wisdom above, I'll add--

Do:
  • Turbo, charge air cooling, max IP
  • 38 gallon fuel tank mod
  • Re-torque head bolts
  • Keep old iron on the road
  • Learn to wrench on your own rig, it's rewarding and fun.
  • Smile and wave at the Prius driver's that hate you. :rotflmao
Don't:
  • Roll coal (yeah I said it)
  • Take your rig to the stealership
  • Maintain over 1150°F on the pyro
  • Neglect your cowl seal! (If N/A. This can hydro-lock your engine. One more reason for a turbo!)
What’s a cowl seal? Also, I searched 38 gallon tank in the forums (that’s what led me here) to see if I can find any information on getting a bed mounted spare tire after installing the 38. Any recommendations?

The_Josh_Bear

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What’s a cowl seal? Also, I searched 38 gallon tank in the forums (that’s what led me here) to see if I can find any information on getting a bed mounted spare tire after installing the 38. Any recommendations?
Cowl seal is the black rubber seal where the hood on this bull nose will close. Keeps water from pooling on the intake and getting into the engine.
https://images.app.goo.gl/AwpT6GtEy3iFScX28

Wish I could help you on the bed mounted spare. I need to keep a spare with me! I've never lost a load E tire since I got my pickup, thank God. But I should keep a spare with me. I bet we could do it like the Broncos with that bar across the tailgate! That would be cool unless I have the camper on.

Stu Bailey

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Cowl seal is the black rubber seal where the hood on this bull nose will close. Keeps water from pooling on the intake and getting into the engine.
https://images.app.goo.gl/AwpT6GtEy3iFScX28

Wish I could help you on the bed mounted spare. I need to keep a spare with me! I've never lost a load E tire since I got my pickup, thank God. But I should keep a spare with me. I bet we could do it like the Broncos with that bar across the tailgate! That would be cool unless I have the camper on.
Hell yeah. I think I need a new cowl seal lol there is water on top the air intake sometimes after a good rain. In fact, I imagine this old 86 could use a lot of new weather stripping everywhere...

1mouse3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A small portable 2000W generator in your truck bed can do the same thing.

Think have that covered or is 4500w overkill.
:joker:

You must be registered for see images attach