6.5 newby

91/2 7.3idi

BarnyardFabrication
Reaction score
just picked up a near mint 97 6.5, 5 speed for 1500. never really messed with one of these. is there any thing i should know about or do to it before i start driving it? i dont how the glow plugs are, it starts ok, but i know with the 7.3 idi's the brand of glow plugs make a big difference. it was a fleet vehicle and i have all the records on the truck since it was new. it has had the plugs changed but i dont remember when. thanks

on edit. i do know about the pmd and i should relocate it, but im in college and im broke.

85oilburner

Reaction score
well other than the pmd id just worry about routine maintence, ive had my 6.5 for about a year and never had any problems with glow plugs, it starts just fine so i leave it alone

dieselburner94

Reaction score
f your glow plugs do start to go, i really like the Insta-Heat glow plugs. Theyre suposed to be military grade glow plugs that get much hotter than stock. I like them, and they were only about 65 dollars.

superduty12v

Full Access Member
Reaction score
im new to 6.5s and i was wondering if i can swap the gmc front clip on the truck. its a 94 with the single headlights and the weave lookin grille. i wanna know if i can throw a gmc dual light grille on there with the lights and whatnot. like dieselburner94's grille

91/2 7.3idi

BarnyardFabrication
Reaction score
all you need to do is change the grille and head lights and wire in the extra lights. did this to my buddys 96