6.5 mods

onetonride

onetonride
Reaction score
my brother has a 97 6.5 diesel... hes wanting to add a little power and maybe dump some smoke out of his 6 inch stack... is it possible to turn up the injector pump??? or what other mods can be done to make this truck scream? and make that cloud of smoke with not spending a ton of money? thanks for your replies ???

rebel_horseman

Rt. Wing Extremist
Reaction score
I believe the later 6.5s have an electronically controlled injection system. the early 6.5s and 6.2s had mechanical pumps. Check out Kennedy Diesel...they do a lot of GM performance for both 6.5s and Dmax trucks.

chrisk1500

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First off - black smoke proves nothing more than that your turbo is too small and/or you don't know how to tune a pump to match boost - black smoke is wasted power...

That being said, you can read my sig to get ideas on upgrades. You will need to get a tuned ECM to turn up the pump. Then the boost will have to be turned up as well to burn the added fuel (done by the ECM and/or a turbomaster).

Snoop through Heath Diesel's website - they are the best in the 6.5 aftermarket IMHO....check out their Bonneville racing 6.5 while you are there....

groove

Reaction score
X2 for heaths stuff. When I had my 6.5 it was fully done with heath mods and it was fantastic.

cumminschevy

Cummins Crazy
Reaction score
First off - black smoke proves nothing more than that your turbo is too small and/or you don't know how to tune a pump to match boost - black smoke is wasted power...

That being said, you can read my sig to get ideas on upgrades. You will need to get a tuned ECM to turn up the pump. Then the boost will have to be turned up as well to burn the added fuel (done by the ECM and/or a turbomaster).

Snoop through Heath Diesel's website - they are the best in the 6.5 aftermarket IMHO....check out their Bonneville racing 6.5 while you are there....

it may be unburt fuel...but its funny how every drag diesel and pull truck that holds a record smokes like a chimney....

cumminschevy

Cummins Crazy
Reaction score
im not here to argue banks does say they make power without smoke. but you know as well as i do there are other record holders that smoke like crazy

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online