6.5 issues

gdhillon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Alright so now shes running. The weird thing is the only way itll start is if its in neutral (AT). But the remote starter will start it when its in park. Another small issue would be the cluster doesnt light up unless i start with the remote and if i do then the radio (aftermarket alpine deck) wont work. Weve had the truck for a good 10 years i think and these issues are just coming now. O and the service light comes on once in awhile. BTW its a 94 6.5 chev silverado. with ~305 thousand kms which is ~190 thousand miles.

gdhillon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I should edit the remote start part, the radio does work i just have to press the source button. So i do not think its the remote starter (its a compustar). The neutral safety switch being problematic makes sense. What I don't get it the lighting for the cluster, it turns on when i use the remote starter but when i press the brake pedal the cluster lights just turn off, so i know its not a bulb or bulbs, does anyone have a DIY on repairing the neutral safety switch? I have googled 6.5 faqs (gm-diesel, diesel place etc.) but none of them have any diys for the switch.

Thanks!
-GD

gdhillon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I should edit the remote start part, the radio does work i just have to press the source button. So i do not think its the remote starter (its a compustar). The neutral safety switch being problematic makes sense. What I don't get it the lighting for the cluster, it turns on when i use the remote starter but when i press the brake pedal the cluster lights just turn off, so i know its not a bulb or bulbs, does anyone have a DIY on repairing the neutral safety switch? I have googled 6.5 faqs (gm-diesel, diesel place etc.) but none of them have any diys for the switch.

Thanks!
-GD