6.2 gov spring

justinray

Contributor
Reaction score
Just caught wind of people doing a 6.2 l govenor spring swap into our trucks to push more RPM's, does this work? How much reliability do you lose? How risky is it?
Has anyone done this that lived to tell the tale?

DragRag

Reaction score
I had one pump that dyoung put the 6.2 sprng in. Yes your engine will rev to 4500 rpm. Loosing reliability is tricky, if you run it at 4500 all day you may have problems. If you bounce it occasionally no real issue I ran into. The engine I did this to was pretty well worn out, and I ran it to 4200 regularly. I didn't mind pushing it most of the time because I knew I was going to end up replacing the engine soon. I ran it for about a year with that pump before replacing that oil leaking pos. Go for it I say, I didn't reuse the pump with the new engine because I turned the truck over to my apes to drive. No way I was giving to those guys with a pump that would spin that fast and far.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
, I didn't reuse the pump with the new engine because I turned the truck over to my apes to drive. No way I was giving to those guys with a pump that would spin that fast and far.

Now c,mon... you really think that once they got wind of one running like that , that they wouldn't figure it out themselves??? LOL

* old truckers joke, Owner of a truck company with 30 trucks has an ad out looking for a mechanic, this fella comes in in response to the ad. Owner asks him what he can do. Mechanic responds " well, I'm a good pump man" . Owner snaps back, hell , I've got 30 good pump men out there, what I need is a mechanic !

bayou

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i got one in mine, ran like a ***** ape for a long time, you would be amazed at how much that engine picks up when you hit about 3700-3800 rpm. idk if thats what killed my 400,000 mile engine or not but im guessing it didnt help any

rhkcommander

Full Access Member
Reaction score
theres a few different gov springs around. not sure where to find 'em seperately from an IP

Off the top of my head
IH was 2750
Ford was 3300 and 3850
6.2 was 4000+?

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
I bounced my engine at 4500 rpm alot never really seemed to hurt mine it ran and ran and ran and ran, and blew a head gasket and now it sets in a garage all lonely with new gaskets and paint just needs a truck and a fuel system,

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
I wonder why they governed ours so low then.

If you ran an engine at 4500 rpm all day everyday versus running one 3800 rpm all day everyday which one do you think has the best chances making it to 300 thousand miles?

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wonder why they governed ours so low then.
IH actually governed them even lower...2800 RPM IIRC. They modified the governor for the Ford application so that people more accustomed to gasoline engines wouldn't complain about the engine hitting the governor at such a low RPM...but, with a considerably heavier rotating mass, diesels in general are meant to turn at lower RPM's than gasoline engines of the same size, and the larger an engine is, the lower it's meant to turn. Most engines in semi trucks aren't meant to run past 2000 RPM, and I've seen some marine diesels that don't want to be going over 1200 RPM. The only diesels I've seen that are governed above 3800 or so RPM are smaller European engines, with a considerably different design philosophy.

I've said it before, but I'll say it again...IH designed the engine to turn at 2800 RPM and they modified it for Ford applications to run at 3400 RPM...and, even at that speed, failures have happened. I have the repair receipts to prove it (my truck swallowed a valve because a keeper came loose..this was long before the truck came into my possession). I've listened to videos of an IDI being run at higher RPM's and heard valves floating. Some have been lucky and not suffered a failure yet, but please understand that, unless you've modified the engine (stiffer valve springs along with a balanced and lightened rotating assembly) you are playing with fire.

Good luck...

rhkcommander

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Science in the 80s wasn't as accurate as it is today, I have a feeling IH decided to be extra safe at 2800 versus "designing" the engine for that. Any old tired engine could float a valve. Still I wouldn't venture past 3800 myself, but I would probably install a spring for higher RPM to keep the IP from cutting off fuel near the governed rpm.

Plus most people don't hug the gov all day...

freebird01

Post Turtle!
Reaction score
Science in the 80s wasn't as accurate as it is today, I have a feeling IH decided to be extra safe at 2800 versus "designing" the engine for that. Any old tired engine could float a valve. Still I wouldn't venture past 3800 myself, but I would probably install a spring for higher RPM to keep the IP from cutting off fuel near the governed rpm.

keep in mind with that statement...

Scientists put men on the moon with less electronics then a TI-85 calculator and slide rules...i would say their engineering wasn't too bad in the 80's...

Back when engineers were just that...not asked to be engineers, designers, draftsman, and print room workers all at the same time.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
OK I'm biting and on the HUNT for a gov spring now....ifn I'm gonna spin some big meats in the mud...lil bitto head room might be nice!...If I gotta sink...I wanna spin!

justinray

Contributor
Reaction score

Thats all I want is some head room. I wouldnt cruise 4500, I would just enjoy my fuel not starving out past a certain point.

Devon Harley

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so when you rev the motor tell makes a harley sound its fine on a stock 89 turboed? is mine a 3,300 spring or 2,800

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
so when you rev the motor tell makes a harley sound its fine on a stock 89 turboed? is mine a 3,300 spring or 2,800
Your engine should be governed at 3400 RPM unless you replaced your injector pump with one that was built for an IH truck. Some people have done this (either accidentally or because the IH pump's also set to provide more low-end torque), but it's a fair bet that your pump's a 3400 RPM pump.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bob123456789