6.2 diesel attach to th350?

rodman68

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can the 6.2 diesel be attached to a th350 trans. I am still trying to install a 6.2 in a scout II and I ran across a 74 that has the 250 chevy six cyl with a th350 and 203 transfer case.

Ford02

Reaction score
I believe you will have to get a torque converter for the diesel . The 6.2 just doesnt turn the RPM the Gasser does.

Ironman03R

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm not familiar on what transmissions were behind a 6.2 but a TH350 is vacuum controled. If it should have a 700R4 that may be a problem.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not familiar on what transmissions were behind a 6.2 but a TH350 is vacuum controled. If it should have a 700R4 that may be a problem.
not so for GM.
chevy bolt pattern bellhousing is standard for all chev.
the torque convertor is the same for all also. the only difference is three bolt vs. six bolt. six bolt is very common in high torque applications. 454's and diesels fall in that category. As long as you have a flexplate for diesel 6.2/6.5 you're in good shape. A three bolt torque convertor will work but will not live long term. Also, you need a low stall convertor or you will not be doing ****.
It's that simple(for GM that is)

Alex S

Jeoff
Reaction score
Yes you can. you will need the diesel torque converter (it has a lower stall rating then the gaser) the 6.2 should have a vacume pump and you will a little modgual that attaches to the throttle at the IP pump for the vacume modulated tranny. Shouldn't be hard to find since the TH 400 was commonly used behind the 6.2 and its vacume modulated as well

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok I was not aware of an auto behind a GM until the 700r4. So it used a setup like a Ford c-6?
THM400, C-6, and the TF727 are all the pinacle of track proven bulletproof detroit engineering. Unfortunately the TF727 has went by the wayside and the THM400 is now the 4L80E and the C-6 is the E4DOA or whatever it's current abortion name.
The basic internals haven't changed, but the addition of electronics to lock in the use of overdrive and torque convertor lockup has turned a once bulletproof into a self destructing timebomb.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Actually towcat has the vacuum valve for a 400 diesel truck, he could post pictures of it if he feels like it:D

bob_442

mad scientist
Reaction score
Actually towcat has the vacuum valve for a 400 diesel truck, he could post pictures of it if he feels like it:D

Part number is GM: 14057219. I bought one a few months back. It wasn't
particularly cheap. I forget the exact number though. The original one was
shot.

Bob

rodman68

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That deal went thru guy was a little flacky didnt have title in hand but he knows the original owner. No way will I buy it give him the money and try the lost title application on a vehicle unless it was given to me. I went another direction stayed with a 6.2 but bought a m1009. Pretty good shape for a 85 but needs some inprovements in the power to wheels department.