SMB RB15 Class "B"

CUL8R;
Ken Kill Sr.

Last edited:

tgatch

Reaction score
First off, welcome.

Now to your question:

You figure typical tunner is going to run about $500 and you might gain 2 mpg.

So say you have th following.

10 MPG over 1000 miles at a price of $2.60 per gallon you spend $260.

12 MPG over 1000 miles at a price of $2.60 per gallon you spend ~$217.

So for every 1000 miles you save $43. @ about 11,630 you break even on the cost.

Now if you add a tuner you will probably want a free breathing exhaust to go along with it to hel keep the Exhaust temp down. So add another ~$500. So now you are looking at 23,000miles to break even.

Auxilary transmission will run you over $3,000. Lubricants i doubt would gain you much. I've heard some claim better milage with Stanadyne additive, but have never tested it myself.

Propane when used as a mileage boost works, but I have never sat down and figured out the cost. MSD/Superchips makes a propane system for our 6.0s. I'm not sure how long the propane lasts, so i don't know how much propane you are burning per mile. I've heard as high as 25MPG with a propane system on an empty truck, but not knowing how often you have to buy propane I can't say how much you are actually saving.

I'd say your mileage is decent. The Van Powerstroke has a little less power as I think it is detuned to keep the heat down. I get anywhere between 8 and 11.5 towing my 13,300lbs 5th wheel.

Hope that helps some.

jharvey

Shutter Bug
Reaction score
Welcome Ken!!

I manage roughly 10-12mpg towing around 12,000lbs. While some folks would seem a little disappointed with that just think that most gassers only avg 6-8 mpg with the same load.

Secondly how many miles have you got on the E-350?? Remember it takes about 25-30k miles for these beasts to "break in" and while you won't see a huge increase you shouldn't see a decrease either.

You can get a tuner with some custom programs, economy, towing and HANG ON. the most popular for the 6.0 is the SCT programmer, just remember that depending on the dealer you may or may not get warranty service.

John

tgatch

Reaction score
I'm in Idaho. The picture in my Avatar was when I still lived in So Cal. I am SOOOOO glad to be out of there.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7