59 Chevy 7.3L IDI swap

ptwcruiser

Reaction score
I have never seen cavitation before so it was a guess. but it is only on one side of those two cylinders and if you look closely it looks pitted almost like rust but clean.

i was going to use most of my budget on new injectors and injection pump but would it be a better idea to sleeve all 8 just to be safe and wait on the new pump and injectors later? Ill have to stay right around $1000 and my local automotive machine shop quoted me $110 per cylinder plus bore and hone. I could probably get away with squeezing out a little more from my bank account for doing a bottom end rebuild. I have a comfortable couch, i imagine I will be sleeping there a while.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
deff not cavitation.
foregin debris into cylinder, or rings causing this.

if it was cavitation, it would not be so uniform.

those pistions are hurting, but i have ran worse.

ptwcruiser

Reaction score
ok, so not cavitation. Honestly I'm paranoid about cavitation so I see the whole engine as the problem.

If I want to get another 50,000 miles out of this engine, what should I do while it is open? (in general over all, and specifically with the scarred cylinders)

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
if this was my engine, i would be putting it aside for a future rebuild.
as i said, it will run, but no telling for how long.

look for another block.
if youre that paranoid, purchase a 6.9 they have thicker cylinder walls.
be aware of cavitation, and the ways to prevent it.

ptwcruiser

Reaction score
I have come across another problem with my zf5. The donor truck is an 89 which I was glad to see used a cable speedo. But after looking closer at the trans, the speedo gear is casted over. I looked at the data plate and it is a replacement made in 94. (frustrating, but it also made me think that the engine might have as many miles on it as I though if it is a replacement as well) Is there any way to convert it to a cable driven speedo or do I need to find a new tranny? also, is there any way to tell if the engine is original in the truck?

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
running numbers will only get you into the ball park, it will not tell you if its the stock engine.

it sounds like your ZF was a PSD trans. they are all electronic.
dont know how to convert it besides getting a different tail shaft.

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
Not sure either..... there is a way to get an electric signal from a cable, but not the other way around.......

If the truck were a 4x4, most t-cases have a speedometer port....... but you don't have that option either...........

BDCarrillo

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Have you taken out the bottom end yet? I clearly see a valve kiss on your piston... wondering if the rod bearings are toasty.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
because, fubard engine.

with that valve impression in the slug, and your recent post, i would suspect a spun rod bearing.

ptwcruiser

Reaction score
yay... this project is determined to be way over my budget. tons of engine work or a new engine, either way its more than I can afford right now.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
find a craigslist engine.
or slap the heads back on your current engine so you can do the fab work.
mock up engines are not useless!