59 Chevy 7.3L IDI swap

ptwcruiser

Reaction score
I recently got my hands on an 89 F350 with a 7.3L and plan to put it in my 59 Chevy. I have been looking around and finding a few things here and there to help me out but because its such a unique build, I figured I would start my own thread about it. Ill try to keep the project updated with pictures too.

I have already begun to tear the F350 down. What I would like to know is how much of the electronics Ill need to pull out of the ford? This is my first diesel project and Ive heard it is mechanical so I don't know if I need an ECU for this swap.

Im also going through the engine before it goes in the 59. Ill be doing new glow plugs, injectors, and injector pump. The engine has a lot of blow by but no oil in coolant or coolant in oil also no apparent signs of cavitation damage. Im going to have a valve job done and get new rings as well. I would like to do a full overhaul but I don't have the budget for all of that. Is there anything else I need to check or replace?

The Ford has a zf5. It slips out of 2nd gear. Ive read that the syncros go bad in them but it doesn't feel to me like its the problem. It shifts fine into gear but as I let the clutch out it pops and grinds. The transmission shifts fine if I skip 2nd.

Thats all I can think of for now.

You must be registered for see images attach

cpdenton

Truck needs paint.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No computer is needed for an idi with a zf. So that's a plus! Wiring is very simple for you.

Do yourself a favor and do some reading here first. There is a section at the top of this forum with idi tech articles. There is so much information there that you will find helpful.

Don't skimp out on your injector pump and injectors. Glow plugs either for that matter.

Not much you can do for the trans popping out of second gear. The gears themselves are starting to wear and it needs a true rebuild to fix that problem. You could just ignore it and drive on too! Or find another one.

Good luck and keep the pictures coming.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Too bad you don't want a gm 6.2 diesel with a SM465 to go in it. It would bolt right in.
As CP said, keep the pics coming.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

ptwcruiser

Reaction score
Thanks for the info cp!

jasper, I did consider the 6.2 and the 6.5 but this old truck has front engine mounts. So with having to make custom engine mounts, i figured any mostly mechanical swap was about the same difficulty. I got the Ford for free and Ive heard a lot of good about the 7.3.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cool build. You picked a good candidate electrically. You need power for the glow plugs and fuel shutoff. Everything else is optional. Basically you need a key on hot wire and and a wire to the starter relay either from a button or the ignition switch. I'm not sure if that year truck had a starter button on the floor or the start on the key. That will pretty much get you running.

Cool build.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Ah I see.
Funny. My dad actually had a Ford of about the same year and had swapped a sbc in it. Lol I'm not really brand picky on cross breeding trucks. Well long as it's not a dodge. Lol
Good luck on your build.
Oh yeah, what sort of build are you going for?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
cool build. i have one of these as a gasser on the project list.
not to be a richard cranium, but this does belong in the conversion forum.
btw, welcome to oilburners!

ptwcruiser

Reaction score
jasper, I would like it to be pretty enough to show off but not so much I wont use it, reliable enough to drive it every day, and also want the power to pull a boat. (whenever I get around to not spending money on trucks, Ill get a boat...) its a 2 wheel drive dually. I dont expect it to roast tires or win any races, but I would like to do 70 on the interstate with ease.

IDIoit, I didnt think about it till you said it. I just posted where I was already searching for answers. Is there a way I can move the thread?

ptwcruiser

Reaction score
I got the heads off last night. The cylinders look clean but I wanted some advice on what I should do from here. Here is a pic of the worst cylinder.
the gap between the piston and cylinder looks very large. I was able to balance a penny in the gap. I plan to get a feeler gauge today so I can check the gap. Can I hone the cylinders and fill this gap with oversized pistons and rings? I've read the gap should be right around .004 and I know by looking it is more than that. Like I said, this was the worst one. The passenger side of the engine is worse than the driver side for some reason.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I got the heads off last night. The cylinders look clean but I wanted some advice on what I should do from here. Here is a pic of the worst cylinder.
the gap between the piston and cylinder looks very large. I was able to balance a penny in the gap. I plan to get a feeler gauge today so I can check the gap. Can I hone the cylinders and fill this gap with oversized pistons and rings? I've read the gap should be right around .004 and I know by looking it is more than that. Like I said, this was the worst one. The passenger side of the engine is worse than the driver side for some reason.

when posting pictures, you need to click the "go advanced" button, or your pics wont show like this post.

i sure would like to see what you're talking about lol

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
are you on a budget?
if so run it.
if not, find a replacement.
itll run a while, but could have a slug come apart, looks like its already cracked @ the 4oclock position

ptwcruiser

Reaction score
well if I was a betting man, Id say this is cavitation damage...
cylinder 5

cylinder 7