4x4 Transmission with Gear vendors question

IDIDieselJohn

0-60....eventually
Reaction score
Just a quick question here,

As you might know, I've acquired a '86 6.9 with a 4x4 C6 attached to it. This will eventually be going in a 2wd F150 with no intentions of making it 4x4.

I don't want to have the transfer case on there for no reason.

Can I simply remove the transfer case from the back of the C6, and bolt up directly a Gear vendors (or something similar) right to the tranny in place of the transfer case....or do I need a 2wd tranny?

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't think a GV is meant to be bolted onto a 4x4 C6 and have a 2WD rear end, but I haven't really taken a look at a GV unit. It might be possible to take two U.S. Gear units (one meant for 4x4 and one meant for 2WD) and make it work in the way you described, but again, I'm not sure.

Another option would be to leave the transfer case on there and use it to get a granny gear...basically as "2L"...

spg

Big Red
Reaction score
To convert the transmission to a 2wd it would need to be taken apart and change the output shaft and bolt on a 2wd tailhousing.

IDIDieselJohn

0-60....eventually
Reaction score
To convert the transmission to a 2wd it would need to be taken apart and change the output shaft and bolt on a 2wd tailhousing.

I know, that's why I was asking for the GV unit, as I'd like to try and keep this tranny. It runs great, oil was very very clean in it, and only has 126k miles.

Towcat, finding an F450 in a junk yard here would be impossible. I haven't seen one in years. Their all still on the road!

I taught of leaving the transfer case there, but it be really really useless. Who needs Low range in an F150? I'm gonna be building this truck for maximum fuel economy (maximum economy with an auto tranny anyways).

It's got 2.73 gears to, i'm keeping the stock 28" tall tires, witch is why I'd like a GV. Right now it revs 2000RPM at 55 with the 300-6 C6 it has now.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
With the 2.73 gears low range may come in handy sometimes. Keeping the transfer case would be the lowbuck solution.

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Jon, the best way to find out would be to call Gearvendors and ask them if they have a solution to your issue. The GV may be able to bolt to the back of a 4x4 trans, but I don't know for sure. I know US gear units do, but they've been out of business for years.

Heath

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you look in the Marketplace there are a couple of F450 SD park brake assemblies for sale IIRC.

I'm not sure how you would convert this setup as you describe because a GV would ben designed to go between trans and tcase thus you would still need the tcase for the slip yoke for drive shaft.

What about just swapping guts from a 2WD C6 from your 4WD?

IDIDieselJohn

0-60....eventually
Reaction score
I'll look into it, I'll contact 'em.

As for swapping the guts.... that really doesn't seem like a worthwhile thing to do with how many 2wd C6's hanging around.....including the one in my van. I can just swap 'em around, put the 4x4 one in my van for now, cause I do plan on 4x4 swap later on in the future, and putting my vans 2wd C6 in that F150.

I really won't be needing low range in that F150, it doesn't tow anything, it's just a daily driver/2nd vehicle when needed. It will become a full DD with the 6.9 in it though. If I can hit close to 30mpg with it, it'll be alot better than the 12-15mpg i'm getting right now with it.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Gear Vendors call is the way to go.. Don't think they will sell you a tail shaft adapter without tunring in to them a tail shaft housing adapter that would not work for you... Many times I have read where a person gets a gv and adapter for a differant trans from theirs. so gv will take it in trde plus lots of maney too. I just got off the phone with them yesterday about my spare gv unit. They no longer buy these units from Englad. They bought out the company. All the parts and tooling too. Now they can build in house anything made. They also can now rebuild both the early J models as welll as the newer P models. Best part is they are about 90 miles from my home...:sly:thumbsup:

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As for swapping the guts.... that really doesn't seem like a worthwhile thing to do with how many 2wd C6's hanging around.....including the one in my van. I can just swap 'em around, put the 4x4 one in my van for now, cause I do plan on 4x4 swap later on in the future, and putting my vans 2wd C6 in that F150.

I really won't be needing low range in that F150, it doesn't tow anything, it's just a daily driver/2nd vehicle when needed. It will become a full DD with the 6.9 in it though. If I can hit close to 30mpg with it, it'll be alot better than the 12-15mpg i'm getting right now with it.
Sounds like swapping C6's with your van would be the way to go...kills two birds with one stone ;Sweet

With that said...IMHO if fuel mileage is what you're looking for, an automatic without a lockup converter (i.e. a C6) is really not the best choice. An E4DOA, or if you're willing to shift your own gears, a ZF5 would serve you better IMHO...

IDIDieselJohn

0-60....eventually
Reaction score
I want nothing to do with an E4OD, so I'm attempting the best mpg I'll get, running a C6. I don't want a standard for this truck, it's going to be a nice little cruiser, want to sway away from sticks for that one.

jaluhn83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The GV is not a bolt on - you'd need to find a 4x4 GV adapter. The input flange on a GV is a 10 bolt circle, and they use a short adapter shaft too. You'd need a 2wd GV too, since the 4wd is setup to have the t-case bolt onto the rear of the GV.

A US Gear dual range would bolt on - they use the standard 6 bolt t-case flange and the same shaft setup. You'd need a 2wd unit, again for the same reason.

Probably the easiest thing would just be to stick the t-case under there and just not use it for anything. Certainly cheaper than getting a GV or USG box.

Or find a 2wd C6 - should be that hard, I know I see them in junkyards out here pretty frequently.

IDIDieselJohn

0-60....eventually
Reaction score
So a 2wd USG would bolt right up in place of the transfer case?

To bad they don't make those anymore. Good luck finding one.

I could leave the transfer case there..... but if I can swap that for an Overdrive Unit, that be ideal.

But thanks for the info! Time will tell what I do. I have a few years of time to search for an OD unit as this won't get done until the F250 is all restored.