4x4 swap question

compressionignitionrules

Full Access Member
Reaction score
is your 4x4 a dually conversion? if it has stock looking leaf springs in the front and mounts you should do a body swap. change the engines while the body is off. if you are looking to make the truck last a lot of years do a sandblast and paint before you swap the motor into the 4wd chassis.

cool truck as a 2wd or 4wd. :Thumbs Up

93fordturbo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hoping to have next week off. Having second thoughts on the swap. I feel like I'm capable I can do it, but I have my doubts. The swap truck is basically a parts truck even though it just needs a different motor to be road ready. The 2wd truck might need head gaskets. In one way I wish I could sell both and just buy a nice obs whether idi or powerstroke that was already 4x4 and exactly what I wanted. But I know I won't really get much for both trucks as they sit. Idk just struggling to try to decide what I should do.

Plowmaster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
on ZF5's with the transfer case off
I run 2 cargo straps from frame rail to frame rail after I jack it up.
6" bolts with the heads cut off inserted into the adapter plate as guide pins.
its a PITA by myself, but do-able.
a lot easier with another person.
Which holes do you use for alignment and how many?

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I usually only do the bottom 4, I don't use the top 2, pain in the 10.25.
I used to cut slots in them, but after you get it seated on the dowels, the bolts are usually bind free.
still a good idea tho.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I use the two lowest holes. I have a long bolt with various nuts and washers attached and a piece of 1/2" all thread that I put two nuts together and welded them to it like a long bolt. I did this back in the 90's and just used what I could find at the time. They still work. With these in the two lowest holes, I can run them up until tight if I want to. Then I just install the regular bell housing bolts above them and remove my alignment tools.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Members online