4X4 Manual hubs or automatic?

dogobat

Reaction score
Couple of things. Have an '86 dually manual trans manual hubs. First, locking and unlocking the hubs doesn't impact fuel economy. Second, these are factory hubs, and will be greased for the first time when I do the brakes. Third, I don't worry about breaking these - when in 4wd with a load of stone on rough terrain, they just work. I lock and unlock them about once a year, and am amazed how easy they turn.

Noiseydiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, this has been fun reading all the comments. I thank all of you who responded. I will be doing the manual hubs just to be on the safe side of things. I am currently chasing the 4X4 E4OD with the PTO transfer case. I have found both of those as of today and now in search of the elusive F350 4X4 front axle. This is getting entertaining!

Jritchie

Reaction score
I have a 94 IDI T , is there any difference in fuel mileage? I have an automatic.

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
I have a 94 IDI T , is there any difference in fuel mileage? I have an automatic.

??? difference in fuel mileage between manual and auto hubs???? if so, you should not see any difference between the two styles unless you leave the front hubs locked in all the time. even then some claim almost no difference.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Couple of things. Have an '86 dually manual trans manual hubs. First, locking and unlocking the hubs doesn't impact fuel economy. Second, these are factory hubs, and will be greased for the first time when I do the brakes. Third, I don't worry about breaking these - when in 4wd with a load of stone on rough terrain, they just work. I lock and unlock them about once a year, and am amazed how easy they turn.

Impact on fuel economy may be small, but it is there. You can't tell me that turning the front driveline doesn't cause some extra drag.

Also I do not recommend you put any sort of heavy grease in the hubs if you live in a area where it gets cold. That grease gets stiff and causes the manual hubs to not want to unlock. That spring in behind the toothed dog is not very strong.

catbird7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Both of my trucks have manual hubs and one advantage I didn't notice being mentioned. Using LOW RANGE with hubs unlocked is really nice if you have heavy load on dry pavement and want to move slow. With the hubs disengaged the front tires are not binding the drive train.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Both of my trucks have manual hubs and one advantage I didn't notice being mentioned. Using LOW RANGE with hubs unlocked is really nice if you have heavy load on dry pavement and want to move slow.
This was mentioned. Somebody called it "2 lo" which it is. It's still worth repeating since it's a HUGE advantage, especially with 3.54 gears like my truck has. There's just so much less clutch slippage when backing a trailer.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zemmeron