4L80E rebuild

dieseldummy

Lost in time
Reaction score
I think the time is soon coming for a rebuild of the tranny in my old chevy. When I first got it I had the low band replaced because it broke, I wanted a rebuild but it didn't work out that way... Lately with the torque convertor locked up via my torq-loc the convertor will slip a little bit. It has been doing this for a while but has gotten worse lately. I know for sure that I need a torque convertor and was wondering if anyone has rebuilt one of these trannies and what is involved in a standard rebuild kit. I installed a transgo kit in it and didn't find that too hard. So if it doesn't intail to much more than that I might have to try out one of those ebay specials. I also wondered what convertor everyone would recomend for this tranny behind a diesel. I want a low stall speed one, but don't know what manufacturer to use. Any insight to this would be helpful.
Thanks,
Justin

colotow

I refuse to grow up
Reaction score
i built the 4L80E in my 91 sub 4x4 2 yrs ago. if you've done tranny work before, it's not bad. there are some teflon rings on one of the shafts, they need special tools to stretch, slide down, and resize (what the book said) other than that, there are the normal things, aligning the pump housings, be careful when installing the lip seals, and a clutch press for the clutches.
try www.northernautoparts.com for kit and books. i took the shaft to a local tranny shop, they put the teflon rings on for me.
depending on the year, you may need to update the wiring harness, they don't make the early year ones anymore. there have been several changes to the plate for the valve body, check the diagrams in the manual carefully. worst part of the whole job was doing the r&r on it by myself, it's a heavy puppy
just have a large work area, lay all the parts out in order, and match everything up, then work back down the row of parts

Last edited: