460 to an idi swap

redneckaggie

rebel w/o a cause
Reaction score
good friend of mine wanted to know what all this would entitle he has a 7.3 idi motor(non turbo) and wants to put it in what currently has a 460 4x4(i can't exactly remember the year) he wants to keep the 4x4 but is scared that this will be an insane job. what would fit in? what would neep adapter kits(homemade?, store bought? we can weld and cut and all that good stuff) any help would be appreciated

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
outside of some minor crossmember mods, it's for the most part plug-n-play.
Mel(angem) has even dropped in a IDI into a bronco with a small block crossmember with very little grief. If he can get the trans bell housing and clutch assy, his current trans can be reused too.

gunnie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i done the same swap on a 94 not too bad just take your time. i then put the 460 back into the rig i took the 7.3 out of so i changed wire harness, tranfer case and trannie and all on both, took a couple months of weekend to do but am still glad i did it. at the time i went from 8 miles per to 13.5 and thought it was great, too bad our fuel is now at 3.78

Compu Doc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
at the time i went from 8 miles per to 13.5 and thought it was great, too bad our fuel is now at 3.78

I am hoping that diesel prices drop below regular gas prices this summer. I guess that is wishful thniking on my part though LOL .

funnyman06

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am hoping that diesel prices drop below regular gas prices this summer. I guess that is wishful thinking on my part though

God i would certainly hope so, i get the same gas mileage as my other car, but gas cost about 30 cents more a gallon.

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
Crossmember will work as is. I completed a 460 to 6.9 swap last fall on an 87 gasser frame to an 86 diesel. No I've ogt a 2007 IDI.:D

Pretty painless. Gonna need the donor wireharness for that era. Dang Ford and their brilliant ideas.
It seems that the wireharnesses were specific to their power plant be it diesel or gas. Other than that gitrdone.;Sweet

Ahh don't forget the diesel motor mounts off the donor. The 460 ones will have to go.

Last edited:

funnyman06

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well, my thought on the different wiring harnesses is that ford made their 460 and 351 etc, but IH made the 6.9 and 7.3 IDI: different manufacturers, different wiring.

osus86diesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What about a 302 to a 7.3? The 302 is coming out of an 86 F250 4x4 with a 4 spd.

Still looking for the 7.3

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Moosestang had a 302 in it. You'll need to remove the motor mounts for the 302 (they are not really ON the front crossmember per sey) The IDI mounting plates will fit on the factory cross member with no problems. You'll have to drill 3 holes total. No cutting or welding.

osus86diesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The Moosestang had a 302 in it. You'll need to remove the motor mounts for the 302 (they are not really ON the front crossmember per sey) The IDI mounting plates will fit on the factory cross member with no problems. You'll have to drill 3 holes total. No cutting or welding.

Thank you. What about the bell housing on the transmission and the clutch? is there much to do there?

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You'll need the diesel specific bellhousing but for the 4 speeds the bell is removable and will bolt up to any Ford tranny be it diesel or gas as long as its a removable bellhousing.

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
ebay, salvage yard, someone who is into these trucks might have one.