44 SAS

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
7 hrs from here to milwaukee. Probably cost $200 bucks or better to bring that home. Probably more- never pulled a trailer far enough with my truck to know mileage- I'd guess 10 so that makes it more than 200 bucks to drive.

I dont know what scrap prices are out there but here I could get 8-900 for that Truck with no front axle. So in theory the axle would be free

Leeland

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I saw a ball joint 60 for 400$ on pirate a while back. It was some where back east so I didn't pay attention where.

jhnlennon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I dont know what scrap prices are out there but here I could get 8-900 for that Truck with no front axle. So in theory the axle would be free

300$ a ton up here, so about 600-700$ or so give or take in scrap. I doubt with out a bed of any kind or front axle you get 3 ton out of it. But still, you could be into a dana 60 for pretty cheap, and alot less headache than putting in a 44.

I wouldnt even bother with a 44, especially under the weight of a diesel. If Im going through all the work of an axle swap, Im going all the way. Cheaper dana 60's are out there, as I just proved, but you gotta be on them when they come up.

jhnlennon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
And just an FYI, i see the truck has been reposted. Im tempted to buy it, throw a flat bed on it, and use it for a wood hauler, wheels are turning....

rjjp

Needs to go test
Reaction score
7 hrs from here to milwaukee. Probably cost $200 bucks or better to bring that home. Probably more- never pulled a trailer far enough with my truck to know mileage- I'd guess 10 so that makes it more than 200 bucks to drive.

You drive a F250, what do you need a trailer for when it's just an axle?

rjjp

Needs to go test
Reaction score
O, I missed that... Load it in the bed, where there's a will there's a way. LOL

gunz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I paid $800 for my donor with a kingpin dana 60 front with matching 4:10 rear. I flat towed it with a towbar about 70 miles. Took a week working after work to have it stripped down to bare frame. Sold the 460 motor:puke: for $400, sold the front clip for $150, Just sold the centerline wheels for $150. Bunch of odds and ends. I kept what I needed plus the new 33inch all terrain tires. I came out alright. If i tried to buy just a bare dana 60 kingpin it would have cost near $1000.

the way I went abou ***, I got the axle adn tires for free. i did make a couple hundred in scrap metal also.

seawalkersee

It needs a turbo...
Reaction score
Errr...go to fullsizebronco.com and go to the SAS thread. LOTS of people have swapped the 44 over on an IFS rig. Also, you can look at the bronco speed thread and see what has been done to get a lot of travel from TTB rigs. That lets them have the travel, and keeps the road manners the same.

SWS

Rot Box

Northern Utah
Reaction score
I swapped in a 78 D44 in my 86 and it worked out great. NO lift, driveshaft bolted right up-and everything went smooth until I went to put my big shiny chrome lug nuts on and realized the studs were different sizes (9/16" vs. 1/2") LOL

Figure out what to do for the steering and re-do the perches to make them wider. As for strength its not a D60, but I'd take it ten times over the TTB D44 that was in my truck ;Sweet