4 Inch Exhaust

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
So this is what I want but seems the place in Idaho that told me they would sell me the over the axle tailpipe for $150.00 shipping included wont get back with me. So where can I buy the 4 inch over the axle pipe and a length of 4 inch pipe. I don't care if its aluminumized or not. Out here we don't have snow or salt on the roads. My Banks exhaust has lasted for over 200,000 miles and its aluminumized pipe. Thanks all....:D

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Ask Russ what we used for my pipe. It seemed that the over the axle pipe plus some 4" pipe brackets things was less than $100. Send him a pm, he has the part number and everything. The pipe itself was aluminized, and was a really good looking piece.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

this is an ebay listing where I goot my muffler, this guy was super cool I would call him and talk with him.

For Orders by Phone please contact us at T & J Diesel Performance 714-924-5094 from 8 am to 5 pm Pacific Standard Time.

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
Got my 4" tailpipe at Napa and was cost me around $50.00 plus shipping.

Part number 54387

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got my 4" tailpipe at Napa and was cost me around $50.00 plus shipping.

Part number 54387

That's a good price;Sweet

Gary, as for the straight pipe, any decent local exhaust shop should have it on hand. Locally here 4" is about $9 - $10 a foot cut to length. Should have seen the look on the guys face when I asked for a 3" piece of it:confused: ...... I think he gave it to me free just to get me out of the shop....Hey I needed it for my Tymar intakeLOL

Jake S.

clueless...
Reaction score
I went to napa and poked around until I got enough straight pipe, a 3-4 adapter, and four 45's. I just fitted and measured then marked locations. Took it off and welded the pipes together and installed. Cost $275 from downpipe to bumper. Thats with a couple hangers. The elbows are like $25 each.

Compu Doc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I obtianed my 3" from the front to the back including over the axle pipe and 4" chrome tip for $125.

forcefed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
dieselshop.com has over the axle 4" tailpipe. You just have to order it for 94-97 powerstroke. I think it is around $100 or less shipped to the house. This is what I have on mine. You can get 4" exhaust pipe from summit racing in 4' lengths for about $20-25. I had to weld my hangers on but that was it.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Is 4" pipe the optimum for a banks turbo kit for our IDI NA trucks???

No, bigger is always better. But 4" pipe is fairly cheap compared to bigger pipe, and it gives a nice deep rumble when driving, but still has some rasping when you get real high in the rpm's (mine will rasp at about 3000rpm's on up to redline. Basically it kinda sounds like a big block gasser with glass packs. Maybe that isnt rasping though, I might be wrong). 4" pipe is probably the biggest you can go without any clearance issues, you might be able to squeeze 5" in, but I would rather have the pipe away from things so it doesnt get them to hot.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
This was talked about some time ago for the longest time. It was finally figured out that 3 1/2 inch was really about all that was needed. I feel like the 4 inch will help out on the back pressure at higher rpms and aid in keeping down thw heat. Really anything more than 4 inch on our motors is not needed but it sure looks cool. Still its kinda a waste of money. Now if you had a psd boosted to say 80 to 110 lbs.... Well then 6 inch seems like a good deal.....

suv7734

Reaction score
ICFA,

I will try to get in touch with my buddy who did mine last summer. 3-4" downpipe adapter, 4" straight pipe + 4" mandrel bent tailpipe (both aluminized) and 5" SS tip for $300.00 installed. He uses a 'standard' tailpipe, meaning there is a "number' for it and I'll try to get it.
Unloaded the Banks non-gated system does the following:
Pre-exhaust--60 MPH cruise (relatively flat) 450*EGT and 2.0-2.5# boost, max boost (full throttle flat) 4#
Post exhaust--60Mph cruise (relatively flat) 350*EGT and 3.5# boost, max boost (full throttle flat) 10#.
I have had one tow (6000#) but my t'stat locked up. Prior to lockup I was pulling 'against' a PS with a 5000#TT in tow on a 4-4.5% grade and I was pulling away.
And most importantly as you said the 4" just sounds way too kewl...

Jaybee

Reaction score
I can bend you whatever you want from aluminized. I have a mandrel bender and 4" on 4" centerline and 4" on 6" centerline radius dies. But, those prices mentioned above sound pretty good to me!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online